Sign in to follow this  

Silencer Forestry Approved?

I recently bought a 2007 Honda CRF250X.  The bike has several mods including an emissions block off kit as well as a 2005 CRF250X pipe and silencer.  I am going to CO in July (I'm from OK) to ride at Taylor Park.  Will this be forestry approved to ride at Taylor Park?  Would there be any changes I would need to make?  How can I check to see if it will be compliant?  Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance.  CV

Sooner_Alumnus

Edit:  I should note that I believe the 05 pipe and silencer are from a 250R model.  That might make a difference.

Edited by Sooner_Alumnus

I recently bought a 2007 Honda CRF250X.  The bike has several mods including an emissions block off kit as well as a 2005 CRF250X pipe and silencer.  I am going to CO in July (I'm from OK) to ride at Taylor Park.  Will this be forestry approved to ride at Taylor Park?  Would there be any changes I would need to make?  How can I check to see if it will be compliant?  Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance.  CV

Sooner_Alumnus

Edit:  I should note that I believe the 05 pipe and silencer are from a 250R model.  That might make a difference.

A 250R model silencer will not have a spark arrestor and thus not be USFS approved.

I believe there are aftermarket end caps you can buy for that silencer that have a USFS approves spark arrestor. That would be about your cheapest option. You could also try to get a used stock 250x silencer or virtually any aftermarket silencer since most companies offer spark arrestor inserts for their silencers.

Edited by woods-rider

Any 2004-2009 250X muffler will bolt onto the 250R header pipe.  Look on eBay.  Make sure the spark arrester is included. It's also nice to have the exhaust diffuser (baffle) for quiet riding.  Check the eBay picture and post a question if you have doubts.

:ride:

Look for lettering in the pics that specify a USDA or USFS Approved spark arrester or other like words:

Early CRF250X Muffler without insert.

CRF250X Muffler.JPG

Yoshimura Muffler

Yoshimura TEC-58 Muffler.JPG

Edited by Chuck.

If you are still looking for one of these let me know.  I may have an extra one in my parts box that I would sell.

Look for lettering in the pics that specify a USDA or USFS Approved spark arrester or other words like:

Early CRF250X Muffler without insert.

attachicon.gifCRF250X Muffler.JPG

Yoshimura Muffler

attachicon.gifYoshimura TEC-58 Muffler.JPG

I have the stock '07 CRF250X muffler in a box.  It has the same lettering imprint as the one in the picture you provided.  Just so I'm clear, this would be approved for USFS?  It doesn't explicitly say 'USFS Approved'.  I'll try to post a pic this afternoon for further clarification.  Thanks in advance.

The old XR mufflers had explicit USDA approval stamped on the body but the the stock X muffler just have what I posted on the end cap, but they are approved and OK to use.

Undo the four screws and pull off the end cap and you will see a screen on a tube that extends into the muffler, that is the spark arrester. If the screen is intact then the SA is functional.

As a side note:

The lettering on the bottom of the Honda muffler pic in my previous post: "HM KSC A10"

HM for Honda Motors, KSC is the product code for the 250X, and the part classification number A10.

The spark arrester part number for 04-07 is 18355-KSC-A10.  The 08+ SA is 18355-KSC-A20, same basic part number except for the classification because of a change in the insert; the later insert is not removable. 

Hope this helps