Sign in to follow this  

Is my bike detonating/pinging VIDEO

Doesn't sound like it. But my 05 RM only detonated under a load (which is what can make it hard to hear it). My YZ ran find on pump. 

Whats that noise then?

Sounds like you may have a loose nut or bolt somewhere that is allowing a washer to rattle a little bit.  Otherwise, the bike sounds completely normal.  I don't hear any pinging.  But, to be certain, hop on that bike and find a long somewhat steep grade.  Go up it at WOT in 4th or 5th gear.  If it is pinging you will definitely hear something akin to a coin dropped in an empty soup can and being shaken.  That will be the pinging.

• Like 2

well, two strokes are noisy and vibey. It sounded normal to me, but it's not uncommon for foot pegs, shifter, or any number of bolts to loosen over time and increase the rattling sound. It's a good idea to inspect the bike after each ride and re torque nuts/bolts ever so often. Also, how many hours on the top end? Cast or forged piston? they tend to get a bit noisier as they wear. 

well, two strokes are noisy and vibey. It sounded normal to me, but it's not uncommon for foot pegs, shifter, or any number of bolts to loosen over time and increase the rattling sound. It's a good idea to inspect the bike after each ride and re torque nuts/bolts ever so often. Also, how many hours on the top end? Cast or forged piston? they tend to get a bit noisier as they wear. 

Ok thanks man

Seems like your RPM's are hanging like you have an air leak or something possibly. 

• Like 2

Seems like your RPM's are hanging like you have an air leak or something possibly. 

this is the only thing i noticed, seemed like it didn't rev down fast enough when you got off the trottle

My bike made that rattling sound once and it freaked me out. It was the clutch vibrating back and forth, but you only hear it if your not touching the lever. Could be that.

I am thinking it is lean.  My bikes comes up very fast and down almost as fast while sitting.

My bike was making this insane, disgusting rattling noise last ride. I pulled over and found that the front of my seat wasn't clipped into the metal tab on the tank :bonk: 5 minutes and it was back on the trail with the other weird rattles and vibes that 2-strokes make.

The hanging idle in the OP is an issue, though. Spray some carb cleaner around the engine to see if you have an air leak.

Update: Turns out my one of the subframe threads is stripped. Thats what was casuing the rattling. I see some stripped thread products online will that work?

A few of you said there could be an air leak. It runs good revs up fast and down fast(a little hesitation comming down but thats probably jetting, very suttle). The only thing is spooge comes out from where the exhaust and motor connect is that normal?

Update: Turns out my one of the subframe threads is stripped. Thats what was casuing the rattling. I see some stripped thread products online will that work?

A few of you said there could be an air leak. It runs good revs up fast and down fast(a little hesitation comming down but thats probably jetting, very suttle). The only thing is spooge comes out from where the exhaust and motor connect is that normal?

I get a bunch of spooge in the same spot. But I'm running a '93 wr250z expansion chamber on a '97 yz250 engine :p Runs fine that way. You might check the o-ring just to make sure that it isn't worn out or something.

What do you mean by spooge? It may be blow by in which case you'll need a new top end.

Dillon

What do you mean by spooge? It may be blow by in which case you'll need a new top end.

Dillon

That black stuff 2 strokes get. Unburnt oil thats drools out of exhaust. I just put new orings on. That could of been the problem

That black stuff 2 strokes get. Unburnt oil thats drools out of exhaust. I just put new orings on. That could of been the problem

I think that's blow by. That means that you'll need a new piston and rings and what not. When was the last time you did the top end?

Dillon

Both my bikes have that little bit of oil around the pipe. It's not a complete seal due to my pipe/s being twisted from crashing. I haven't ever worried about it. Seals up just fine when everything's warm and then settles when the bike cools off.