Sign in to follow this  

Best bike cover to transport?

For those who haul on a trailer or in the back of a truck what do you use for a cover? Was thinking about just getting a tarp and somehow fastenining it on but I think that might be difficult with extra material flapping around at speed.

Thoughts?

For those who haul on a trailer or in the back of a truck what do you use for a cover? Was thinking about just getting a tarp and somehow fastenining it on but I think that might be difficult with extra material flapping around at speed.

Thoughts?

I went to the local bike shop and picked up a waterproof bike cover that has an elastic string that cinches closed at the bottom, also has a strap that wraps around it from top to bottom. That's all I plan on using when I put the bike on my hitch carrier when I go out west.

This one > http://gpbikes.com/gears-nylon-motorcycle-storage-cover.html

Covers can be bad news on an open trailer...

This. Not to mention any kind of cover flapping around int he wind is going to scratch things. I know on a DRZ there isn't much paint, but still not a good idea.

• Like 2

If you're sticking to the paved roads, haul it as is.

If you're heading down gravel roads for any distance, make sure you have some good mud flaps and maybe a board on the front of your trailer to deflect the rocks.

Thoughts?

I don't use anything.

Geology , I put my old XL350/400 and Laverda 1200 on a trailer and drove over 2000 klms back in the 80`s . Unknown to me the tarp I used to cover them had come loose , and it had steel eyelets on it . It wrecked the whole right side of the lav , was I happy ! If you do use a tarp , try to get one without eyelets and keep checking it . As it will be sitting in the breeze , it will flap about if it comes loose or even if it sits loose on the bike . I would cover it with a blanket first then use the cover/tarp , to stop any rubbing . Like stuwy said if you stick to paved roads it should be fine uncovered , but look out for the gravel , greg

IMG-3.jpg

To prevent my buddies new bike from getting covered w/ road salt after he purchased it. We wrapped it in saran wrap (plastic wrap). I assume you could do the same. Just keep it tight.

• Like 1