Sign in to follow this  

Safest way to fall......

Is there a 'safe' way for a dirt bike rider to fall?  Say you know the inevitable is gonna happen...... how do you prepare yourself in that split second?  Have you been taught and when it does happen you instinctively go into protection mode?

And there's many scenarios where a fall can happen, ie on a jump and half way in mid-air you know it ain't good, a tankslapper, over the handlebars, low-sliding, etc.  How should one prepare themselves for each?

Edited by Honda_Power

tuck and roll. tuck into a ball (including locking your chin down to your chest), try to land on the back of your shoulder/side and then roll through the landing. this spreads out the impact and dissipates the energy.

it's instinctive for me because i grew up wrestling and playing other sports where we actually learned to fall correctly and then got a lot of practice while competing.

taking a few judo lessons would probably help, too. one of the first things you learn in judo is how to fall correctly.

and be wearing gear...especially helmet and spine protection--and gloves, good boots, and knee and elbow protection.

do NOT extend your hands to try to break your fall--all you'll break is your wrists/arms.

oh...and try to land in some pie. :devil::lol:

Edited by LittleRedToyota
  • Like 4

tuck and roll. tuck into a ball (including locking your chin down to your chest), try to land on the back of your shoulder/side and then roll through the landing. this spreads out the impact and dissipates the energy.

it's instinctive for me because i grew up wrestling and playing other sports where we actually learned to fall correctly and then got a lot of practice while competing.

taking a few judo lessons would probably help, too. one of the first things you learn in judo is how to fall correctly.

and be wearing gear...especially helmet and spine protection--and gloves, good boots, and knee and elbow protection.

do NOT extend your hands to try to break your fall--all you'll break is your wrists/arms.

oh...and try to land in some pie. :devil::lol:

Yeah, it seems like almost everyone extend their arms to try and brace the fall...... instinct, I suppose.  But usually what happens with that is their arm gets snapped in half like a Slim-Jim.  Ain't pretty.

Is there a 'safe' way for a dirt bike rider to fall? Say you know the inevitable is gonna happen...... how do you prepare yourself in that split second? Have you been taught and when it does happen you instinctively go into protection mode?

And there's many scenarios where a fall can happen, ie on a jump and half way in mid-air you know it ain't good, a tankslapper, over the handlebars, low-sliding, etc. How should one prepare themselves for each?

You should never ride with a helmet, that way you can make sure that your skull and neck make optimal contact with the ground. This only applies to you
  • Like 15

You should never ride with a helmet, that way you can make sure that your skull and neck make optimal contact with the ground. This only applies to you

Lmao hahahahahahah ah
  • Like 4

Extended my arms and ripped my shoulder out of joint!  Actually, I only extended my upper arms, trying to land on my elbow pads, which I did.

• Like 1

In all seriousness, your first goal is to get away from the bike. Second goal is personal damage mitigation.

Listen to this guy. Bikes don't feel good when they land on you, especially when a footpeg stabs you. Last time I crashed the bike landed on me because I jumped over the bars instead of to the side. $30,000 hospital bill. Sometimes no matter how you bail, you are gonna get hurt.
  • Like 1

Falling is never safe,but in your case HP it would be safer for all of us if you fell on your sword. I meant PIE,I would hate for people to think I was picking on a poor pathetic prepubescent idiot.

• Like 2

Listen to this guy. Bikes don't feel good when they land on you, especially when a footpeg stabs you. Last time I crashed the bike landed on me because I jumped over the bars instead of to the side. $30,000 hospital bill. Sometimes no matter how you bail, you are gonna get hurt.

Larry linkogle knows that bars are worse.

grab your crotch with both hands, go to sleep (close eyes, relax) pray. it does work!

• Like 1

Aim for a tree... The bark will pad the crash... Helmets offer a false sense of security.. Just wear a bandana... ya look way cooler!

• Like 2

......or, just so we have technicalities covered....HP could wear this :thumbsup:

Manly-Watermelon-Motorcycle-Helmet.jpg

• Like 5