Sign in to follow this  

Those pesky kick starters...

Well. My kicks starter is extremely loose. I flops open and stabs me in the leg. And it hurts. Its a yz 125. What do i need to replace to make it stiff again? I have a bungee cord for now but in the races it doesnt not work. And the pipe melts the cord after a couple hours. Anyway, how do i un floppify it?

Don't you have to split the case in order to get into the kick starter?  What a headache!

All you have to do is pull the lever off and inside will be a steel ball and most likely a broken/worn out spring. Replace this spring and you're good to go

• Like 2

All you have to do is pull the lever off and inside will be a steel ball and most likely a broken/worn out spring. Replace this spring and you're good to go

Listen to this guy... Not honda_power.

This^. You can also add a shim between the kickstarter and spring (not between the spring and ball) if you don't want to replace the spring and it's only worn out and not broken.

• Like 1

I voted for Obama, I'm for more gun control, I'm on disability, and I financed my bike with zero down!

Maybe that will get William1's attention
  • Like 1

Don't you have to split the case in order to get into the kick starter? What a headache!

Do you know anything, about , well, anything??

Your name seems to be on every other thread with absolutely no contribution to these forums, and I'm not exactly sure whyy

All kickstarters need love...

You'll probably need to use some force to get the phillips screw out of there, but first put the kicker in a vise. Clean it really well, put a new spring it, and tons of grease before you put it back together. And don't forget to apply Loctite on the bolt holding the kickstarter on...

• Like 1

Just fixed mine on my 250f. Popped it apart and drilled out the hole where it rotates and then put a piece of brass pipe between the two. with holes for the screw and the detent ball in the right places. Tight as a tiger now

Edited by BloodBMcG

On the other bit I think...( kick start knuckle-at least that's what I call it ) :)

HP well your not so smart .....

Uattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402097205.560260.jpg

Uhhhhh. Weres the ball and spring.

The ball and spring should have been inside the kicker arm.  There's a whole where they go into.  I'm guessing this is a used bike and the PO lost them at one point or another.  There would be some debris left in there even if they disintegrated.

Hase a look at this schematic:

http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/50045507f8700209bc792bc6/starter

parts 13 and 14 are what you're looking for

Edited by ADVRider808

Sometimes when you pull the kickstarter off the ball will go flying and you'll lose it forever, ask me how I know.  :rolleyes:

Anyways clean it up real good and grease it up, your starter will be smooth as buttah.  :ride:

What are you guys using to shim it? Cut a piece of bolt to what, 2 or 3mm?

What are you guys using to shim it? Cut a piece of bolt to what, 2 or 3mm?

Aluminum can.  The side of the can can be rolled out nice and flat and is easy to cut.  Aluminum can is a great stock material for thin shim material.

• Like 1

I used a piece of brass pipe. Drilled out the hole and pressed the pipe in with a vice