Sign in to follow this  

New guy, opinions on bike.

Hey everybody I'm new to the forums, out of Indiana. I've had ATVs my whole life along with a CRF70 that I was terrified of when I was 12, and I had sworn off dirt bikes since that CRF because I just never could get use to two wheels, 8 years later I've had a change of heart. Recently my cousin received a bike as a part of a trade, I've been riding it all week and I've become pretty comfortable on it; well on flat land anyway. He has some pretty tight trails behind his house that we tried out and I didn't have as easy a time as I would've liked. It rained all day the two days before so it was sloppy out, I had one successful hill climb among five failed ones not to mention laying the bike over in two corners and once being pinned under it. So not to say that I'm used to the bike yet at all. Anyway, I'm considering buying the bike from my cousin and I'd just like some opinions on it, what to look out for, things to check for before I do so.  

The bike is a 2003 YZ250F, not sure of hours on the motor.

-Full FMF exhaust with the PowerBomb

-Pro Circuit suspension

-ASV clutch and brake levers

-Renthal Bars

-Universal triple clamps

Probably a few other small things I can't think of, tires are in good shape, the only issues the bike has that are obvious to me is the clutch lever needs a new spring, it needs a new shifter as it was rode while it was loose and stripped it out, and it has a small gas leak coming from the petcock.

It will almost always start first kick, other than after we rode for a few hours and I laid it over a few times , It didn't want to start at all but I also might be partially to blame, I was pretty exhausted after pushing and pulling the bike around for so long I wasn't really able to kick it over like normally.

The two things that worry me are as follows

1. The valvetrain seems a bit noisy, is this normal for these bikes?

2.  My main concern, the bike runs great other than when I go from little to no throttle to absolute full throttle the bike bogs down and dies occasionally, I'm assuming this is a carb issue?

Are there anything I should know about these bikes? motor? any common issues I should look out for? I appreciate the feedback, thanks everybody.

remember that if you want to ride that things in the woods you need a spark arrestor. that bike doesnt have one from the sounds of it.

thoughts

what is he asking and what can you get newer for just a little bit more money?

do you know how to check the valves, if so i'd do it right in front of him. That will answer 1, and possibly 2.

Carb work maybe 2.

I'd look at other bikes considering the mount of work involved with thisone.

A newer bike too. Big updates. Probably cheaper in the long run as well.

Just a suggestion, but the YZ is a race bike.  A lot of us trail ride them, but they are a "race bike" and it takes a lot more maintenance and you need $$ for parts too.  You might be better served by getting some more experience on a different bike that is more suitable for learning now and move up later on after you have more riding experience.  A good XR200 or XR250 will work fine, is more forgiving, will stand up to neglect and rough handling, and is not nearly as maintenance intensive.  I've had both for my kids to learn on and they were great... still have an XR200.

Double post - see below

Edited by gatorfan

Agree with Ron above. Wrong bike for you. The YZ is a motocross racing machine. There is a significant difference between an MX bike and a trail bike. It's not just the power, it's also the suspension, gearing and tires. You typically  only see experienced riders using MX bikes on trails (but not commonly, and usually modified). Based on your post it sounds like your riding skills have a long way to go.  I strongly suggest you start out on a different machine. 

Consider also, TTR - 230 , XT 225/250, TW 200.

Edited by gatorfan