Sign in to follow this  

2012 ktm 250sxf bog/startin issues

My buddy has a 2012 ktm 250sx-f and he just got it less than 6 months ago from a dealership. Brand new bike. Just recently had trouble with the bike sputtering when he hits the throttle and it will bog out and stall. And it sometimes won't even start altogether... Valves are still perfectly on, we just emptied his fuel tank to clean out any dirt or water, cleaned the fuel filter inside his fuel injection... Still won't stArt and when it does start, it bogs and dies... What could the problem be?

have you done the ol brake cleaner or carb cleaner spray in the t.b. to see if it runs on that? if it does than you should do a pressure and voltage check after that cause you might be in for a fuel pump. maybey it took a crap from it being a new 2012 bike and sitting at a dealership for 3 years. sour gas screws up fuel pumps as well as carbs believe it or not.

Well the fuel pump definatly kicks on cuz you can kinda hear it, however, were gonna try a 9 volt battery and hook it to the injected and spray it out when it opens, so if that don't work then the next step is the throttle body idea of yours so were keeping our fingers crossed

Sounds like u have a fuel issue. Have u looked at the little filter on the hose?

What type of fuel you runnin?

Did u run injector cleaner through the tank and injector?

Is your idle air opened properly?

Tryin not to tinker with my bike anymore...

So no mentionin of new gizmos plz

Sounds like u have a fuel issue. Have u looked at the little filter on the hose?

What type of fuel you runnin?

Did u run injector cleaner through the tank and injector?

Is your idle air opened properly?

Tryin not to tinker with my bike anymore...

So no mentionin of new gizmos plz

We just said heck with it and took it back to the dealer so the mechanics can look at it since we're not 100% sure what we're doing. Better safe than sorry!

We just said heck with it and took it back to the dealer so the mechanics can look at it since we're not 100% sure what we're doing. Better safe than sorry!

I just bought a 2014 SX-F 350, when I picked it up from the dealer mine was doing this exact same thing.  It would flame out, would be hard to start unless the cold start plug was pulled, it would also be damn near impossible to shift into neutral until you gave it some gas, even shifting using the clutch was extremely hard to do at speed, until it was really warm and then it ran fine.  I talked to the dealer about it and their response was "That's just KTMs, get used to it" I have to think that's the worse response ever.  Anyway I got home frustrated and pulled out the manual, first thing I did was adjust the idle, because I'm no expert but it seemed to be idling really low.  I gave it a quarter turn to increase the idle speed, all problems were instantly solved.  

I'm having trouble with my clutch being super hard to pulll and I can't help think who ever did the PDI at dealership maybe put the wrong fluid in or did something wrong on the PDI.  Anyway that's a different post in another thread.   I guess the moral of the story is the dealership doesn't hold all the secrets and they could possibly be the source of the problem. 

I just bought a 2014 SX-F 350, when I picked it up from the dealer mine was doing this exact same thing. It would flame out, would be hard to start unless the cold start plug was pulled, it would also be damn near impossible to shift into neutral until you gave it some gas, even shifting using the clutch was extremely hard to do at speed, until it was really warm and then it ran fine. I talked to the dealer about it and their response was "That's just KTMs, get used to it" I have to think that's the worse response ever. Anyway I got home frustrated and pulled out the manual, first thing I did was adjust the idle, because I'm no expert but it seemed to be idling really low. I gave it a quarter turn to increase the idle speed, all problems were instantly solved.

I'm having trouble with my clutch being super hard to pulll and I can't help think who ever did the PDI at dealership maybe put the wrong fluid in or did something wrong on the PDI. Anyway that's a different post in another thread. I guess the moral of the story is the dealership doesn't hold all the secrets and they could possibly be the source of the problem.

We tried the idle thing and it didn't work, so we did a minor clean out to keep from making the problem worse and that didn't work so we decided to keep our hand off it to prevent further damage and now it's sitting at a Cernics dealer waiting to be checked

We tried the idle thing and it didn't work, so we did a minor clean out to keep from making the problem worse and that didn't work so we decided to keep our hand off it to prevent further damage and now it's sitting at a Cernics dealer waiting to be checked

Too bad it wasn't something simple, keep us posted on what they find. 

a mate had abit of trouble with his 2012 250, it would stall going round a track then was hard to start, turned out to be the ht cap

Too bad it wasn't something simple, keep us posted on what they find.

We should know by the end of this week or so and I'll let you all know what they find... Hopefully this thread will help a ton of people with this issue

Well my buddy got the bike back. The issue was a mix between a bad spark plug and the stock fuel filter inside the FI. In 2012 there is a recall on the fuel filters that came with them due to the fact that they're soo tiny with their gaps that that slightest bit of dirt can clog them and should be replaced with a 2013 or newer filter