Sign in to follow this  

Best year of CR250's

Looking to pick up a CR250 to add to my two stroke collection. I have a 2006 YZ250 and was looking into the Hondas. So between 2003-2007 which is the best year for the bike?? What also makes them better??

05+

thinner base gasket (higher compression)

No tin wrapped crank

On 125s they're a good year for the RC valve

Aside from that they're not particularly different

• Like 1

It does seem that people tend to lump the entire 3rd gen 250s into one, but the more I read about them, the '02s and '03s sound like the real troublesome ones. The '04 (granted I have one) sounds like it's kind of a good mix between the two. I've heard the '05-'07s don't have the best power delivery ever. Just the way CamP described the stock power curve.

The 2000-2001 motor seems to have a mythical reputation, but I can't comment as to how good it is. I didn't think it was all that different from the '97-'99 motor, and that wasn't that great. And the chassis/suspension weren't anything to write home about, so I think it's safe to say the newer the better. Not true with every dirt bike in the world.

• Like 1

01 best motor, good chassis. The 02-07's have a reputation for handling better ,but IMHO, everyone overestimates their riding ability enough to claim that they need the miniscule handling advantage.  Odds are most riders would never out ride the bike from any year. 

• Like 1

^^^ "01 best motor"

Stock for stock, sure it's got a good hit. But 02+ was the era Honda switches to using really poorly jetted carbs and refused to fix little machining issues with the motors (lower cylinder, closer squish band) but once these are fixed and either good jetting or a new carb are achieved its as good if not better than the 01. CamP is Damn good with case-reed Hondas, i recommend him for the rally technical info

• Like 1

It cracks me up every time I see someone post about the 01 motor being the "best".

It's a shame Honda didn't refine the 02-07 case reed motor from the factory & left an unfinished project. The motor has some serious potential - PC has done the R&D work on this motor & can really make it bark like the 92-96 motors with aprox. 10 extra HP. You can also do the squish / Kehin mod that also transforms the motor into 1/2the potential it has...

My 3 bikes before my 03 cr250r were all yz's and I liked the power delivery in the woods but never was completely comfortable. I am 6 foot 3 and as soon as I sat on the cr I was hooked it was like a perfect fitting shoe. Its funny cause my uncle felt the same way when he sat on my yz so I sold it to him lol. I am actually looking for a 05-newer cr now just to have a comparison of the two engines because I hear its more refined then the 02-04 engines. Also i want to turn it into a more of a dune and track bike.

Edited by 223hpyhooker

I have an '06. My buddy has an '01. We both rebuilt our bikes (frame up along with complete engine rebuild) around the same time. Both are stock internally (no squish adjustments, base milling, port shaping or polishing, stuffing or anything) and have full FMF systems with Vforce 3 Reeds......For the life of me I can not comprehend what is going through anyone's mind when they say the '01 is the best motor. LIES!!! Lies I say!! Seriously my bike has more power everywhere. I can walk him in a drag race and he weighs 20 lbs less than me (we have the same gearing as well). He gets jealous everytime we switch bikes. He says mine is so much easier to ride cause there is power everywhere in the rpm range. The stock carb works great, no spooge, plugs look great, no flat spots in the power....no anemic bottom end with an uncontrollable punch. I think too many people that own '01's are just rallying behind what a few magazine testers said when they rode the '02 vs the '01. Had the '05-'07 motor came out then, I think a completely different song would have been sung. The Best CR is the 05-07. It has a great motor and by far the best chassis. That said, I think most average riders would be happy with just about any year CR250 in nice shape. 

• Like 4