Sign in to follow this  

New Guy

Hello everyone. I did not see anywhere for new people to introduce themselves so i figured i would here. Im Mike and im new to dirt bikes. Ive has multiple atvs but just got my first dirt bike. Its a 2003 CRF450R. It was a great deal to get because it had a few small issues. It is currently at the local Honda shop getting everything taken care of and a good tune up. I should have it back in a day or two. Im sure ill have alot of questions down the road. Ive been watching and reading posts on here trying to learn everything i will need to know. It would also be nice to find some people to ride with in South Alabama.

• Like 3

Hello everyone. I did not see anywhere for new people to introduce themselves so i figured i would here. Im Mike and im new to dirt bikes. Ive has multiple atvs but just got my first dirt bike. Its a 2003 CRF450R. It was a great deal to get because it had a few small issues. It is currently at the local Honda shop getting everything taken care of and a good tune up. I should have it back in a day or two. Im sure ill have alot of questions down the road. Ive been watching and reading posts on here trying to learn everything i will need to know. It would also be nice to find some people to ride with in South Alabama.

Welcome. Roll Tide!

Oops, war eagle, maybe?

Im actually a Penn State fan. Originally from PA. We moved here about a year ago for work.

If I were a Penn State fan, I would have moved three years ago
  • Like 1

Im actually a Penn State fan. Originally from PA. We moved here about a year ago for work.

I was just excited to hear someone else mention football. Welcome to the site. That bike sounds like a sweet deal. My grandfather was from southern Alabama. Beautiful place. There is a huge motocross park near Montgomery called Monster Mountain. Never been there, but it looks like a serious track online
  • Like 1

welcome! I ride the same bike as you, What exactly were the issues with it?
  • Like 1

welcome! I ride the same bike as you, What exactly were the issues with it?

It had idle issues and the idle screw was broke and was running lean on the low end. It also had 2 oil leaks. One behind the front sprocket and one in the head gasket. Also i am having them do a full service and fluid change when it is there. I plan on learning how to do everything myself but since it is new to me i thought it would be best to let them go over it first.

• Like 3

I was just excited to hear someone else mention football. Welcome to the site. That bike sounds like a sweet deal. My grandfather was from southern Alabama. Beautiful place. There is a huge motocross park near Montgomery called Monster Mountain. Never been there, but it looks like a serious track online

Ill have to look into that track. Im actually closer to Florida. I can be at the Florida beaches quicker then to Montgomery. There is a track i found about 30 mins from me but i need to get better at riding before i go there.

• Like 1

It had idle issues and the idle screw was broke and was running lean on the low end. It also had 2 oil leaks. One behind the front sprocket and one in the head gasket. Also i am having them do a full service and fluid change when it is there. I plan on learning how to do everything myself but since it is new to me i thought it would be best to let them go over it first.

if you any questions with it let me know! Cause I am in the process of learning the more technical stuff abt the engine and such, and am always trying to help or learn more
  • Like 1

if you any questions with it let me know! Cause I am in the process of learning the more technical stuff abt the engine and such, and am always trying to help or learn more

I plan on doing my own fluid changes and all but need to find a copy of the manual to see how much and what oil to use and also what filter i need. Ive been reading online and have found anywhere from 3 hours to 10 hours between oil changes and many different choices on oil.

• Like 1

I plan on doing my own fluid changes and all but need to find a copy of the manual to see how much and what oil to use and also what filter i need. Ive been reading online and have found anywhere from 3 hours to 10 hours between oil changes and many different choices on oil.

I change my oil every 3-5 rides and my filter every other oil change. Change my air filter every ride
  • Like 1

I change my oil every 3-5 rides and my filter every other oil change. Change my air filter every ride

I plan on having 2 air filters that way when one is being cleaned i have another to use. I need to figure out how often for oil changes in gallons of gas.

• Like 1

I plan on having 2 air filters that way when one is being cleaned i have another to use. I need to figure out how often for oil changes in gallons of gas.[/quote I always keep 2, makes things much easier

Right on great academic school!  Welcome! 

I plan on having 2 air filters that way when one is being cleaned i have another to use. I need to figure out how often for oil changes in gallons of gas.[/quote I always keep 2, makes things much easier

Yea. I always kept 2 for my atvs. What oil do you run?

ame="bain33" post="11659361" timestamp="1402015703"]

Yea. I always kept 2 for my atvs. What oil do you run?

for engine oil I run rotella or castrol. And for my tranny I run honda hp transmission oil

Get a wireless hour meter that just sticks in the bike. Easiest way to know when to change the oil.

I change my oil about every 10 hours.

Edited by StonedInNy
  • Like 1