Sign in to follow this  

Piston/cylinder after over heating

Hey guys, I finally had time time to tear her down. 411 is went to track last weekend after a complete bored rebuild and after three heat cycles and two hours on fresh motor, then three hours of riding it overheated died tried starting it and gray smoke out exhaust and wouldnt start after 10 kicks so said something not right. Then checked everything and I lost two full radiators of coolant in three hours! JystLooks like just a blown head gasket, and base thank god found coolant in oil too, no metal shavings at all. at first I thoght it was nuked but still has compression, rings look fine too, cylinder is not bad cept one spot might get it replated to be safe. I'm throwin new gaskets on, a new plug an gonna check valve clearance too, also new fluids and filters.Let me know what yall think! I think I'm pretty darn lucky after dropping 1000$ on Je piston, rings, hot rods crank, hot cams stage 2, valves, 270 bore kit ect. Thanks for any feedback

1402007520061.jpg

1402007597497.jpg

1402007619479.jpg

1402007651473.jpg

1402007706329.jpg

1402007742764.jpg

1402007766224.jpg

1402007872513.jpg

1402007895377.jpg

1402007943679.jpg

1402007963742.jpg

My best guess was after the bored kit was producing so much heat the coolant was boiling over and puking out of overflow on stock 1.1 cap, I need a 1.4 and I'm swtching to engine ice. Thats my only conclusion to loosing that much coolant in one day glad I wasn't in the woods!

It looks like there's some blue stuff on top of the head gasket? What's that?

Not a chance bolting on the 270 kit causes the motor to all of a sudden run terribly hot. Unless the ECU wasn't remapped to add a bunch of fuel for the added displacement, of course.

Idk bro I use some sealant but it was gray idk where the blue came from, and it didn't get remapped any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am mechanically inclined but no gandolf lol

Idk bro I use some sealant but it was gray idk where the blue came from, and it didn't get remapped any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am mechanically inclined but no gandolf lol

You sure the water pump is working?

I'm pretty damn sure it works. Before that day I've rode it a few times after the build and never had an issue with coolant leaking. I even checked it before I went to track. But I haven't really rode it hard until I went to the track and opened her up and I didn't realize I was loosing coolant until I blew my head gasket. I'm really thinking remapping it idk how that slipped my mind

Never use sealant on a head gasket! That's your problem. Clean both mating surfaces after you're sure that they are flat then torque the 4 bolts in a criss-cross pattern in 3 stages working your way up to the final torque value. Like 12, 25 then 40. Put the head gasket on dry as a bone and you'll be OK. Buy new base and head gaskets and you may have that sealant in your cooling and oil passages now = bad news.

Worse news is you need a remap asap. More air needs more fuel, plain and simple. 270cc is 8% more than 250cc. Whoever sold you the bb kit should be able to direct you to or provide you with the mapping file. That needs to be done BEFORE you ride the bike!!! You were running very lean and got the motor very hot, which easily blew the head gasket due to the sealant you used. Good thing you used that sealant, else you might have kept riding it while lean and really frigged things up!

Edited by Eddie8v
  • Like 1

Big thanks for the info Eddie, greatly appreciated! My first efi..lol so should I use sealant on the base??

No sealants bro.

Eddie Sisneros on this board can likely re-program your ECU, you'll have to send it to him. PM him.

Edited by Eddie8v

The biggest problem as Ed said is you used gasket sealant on the head gasket. The gaskets will seal on their own without sealant.

If your a gambler clean all surfaces and reassemble the whole thing with new gaskets and no sealant.

And see how it runs. pay attention to coolant loss. A little is normal. The cylinder could possibly be warped due to heat distortion.

If it were in my shop I'd want to at least skim the head and cylinder mating surfaces or at the very least have them measured for flatness.

I haven't seen a big bore kit cause enough of a lean heat condition to completely boil the fluids out.

I've built a couple of BB's recently and none produced results as extreme as this example without mapping.

Thats not to say mapping wouldn't have helped them.