Sign in to follow this  

03 yz250 mystery pin. broken pv

Just bought this thing. First 2t coming off 250f. Didnt rev out like I thought it should and is kind of eratic at high rpm so I popped off the pipe and the PV cover to dicover the linkage broken! Looks like it has been flopping between open and closed. PV moves freely. Then drained oil and found a mystery pin on the drainplug. What is it. Are they relatedIMG_20140605_163158.jpgIMG_20140605_163139.jpg

Just bought this thing. First 2t coming off 250f. Didnt rev out like I thought it should and is kind of eratic at high rpm so I popped off the pipe and the PV cover to dicover the linkage broken! Looks like it has been flopping between open and closed. PV moves freely. Then drained oil and found a mystery pin on the drainplug. What is it. Are they relatedattachicon.gifIMG_20140605_163158.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20140605_163139.jpg

I'm not sure how it relate with braking of the linkage.But, it seems a dowel pin for governor shaft.

Open the right side case cover and check the governor assembly.

I was betting they werent related. But was hopeing it was to do with there being no tension on the govener

not supposed to leave that dowl pin in there after you tighten down the arm, if it was left in ther it could be why the arm broke

not supposed to leave that dowl pin in there after you tighten down the arm, if it was left in ther it could be why the arm broke

He found the pin in drained transmission oil. It will not the temporary locking pin that you meant.

Does the 250 have a "PV drain" like the 125?

It might be just a part of a broken PV torsion spring. considering the broken pv linkage...i would follow that

#31 @ https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/oem.php?partcategory=896092&manufacturer=7&category=5&year=2002&model=28865

NM, just re-read. Maybe it's the #22 pin....there's not that many small "pins" to choose from

Edited by rottenio

I almost guarantee you it's part#22. I had a similar situation happen to me. Pull your side case cover off and inspect your governor. It is also possible that your four ball bearings fell out too since the pin isn't holding the governor together.

• Like 1

That sucks. You need to go over the whole bike and make sure the previous owner didn't scew up anything else.