Sign in to follow this  

500EXC Top End Rebuild Yet?

Anybody over the KTM top end rebuild recommendation of 105 hrs yet and still not rebuilt it?

I'm sitting on about 130 with no issues. I ride the bike almost exclusively on the limiter (smoker mx habits are hard to break). Bike still pulls like a freight train and no smoke, knock, or oil usage. I have no intentions of rebuilding yet, but would like to hear where folks are with their hrs and top ends in case I should change my thinking...

Cheers and thanks.

My 450 is at about the 100 hour mark. I've started slowly collecting parts for a rebuild around the 150-160 hour mark. So far I've got everything to rebuild the water pump, oil pump, and cam chain tensioner. I'm not a clutch abuser so I will hold off on any of that until I open it up and determine if anything is needed. Next on the list is a piston kit, gasket kit, and cam chain. I plan on sending the head out for a going through. Pretty sure I'm going to use Dick's Racing in Utah to do the work.

Like yours mine is still running like a swiss watch. But I rather rebuild it before anything grenades and significantly increases the cost. Just my .02

The 450 rebuild interval according to the manual is something crazy like 60 hours if I remember right.

After talking to many individuals and a few shops I've gotten pretty close to the same response of 150 hours. Of course you could stretch it out further I'm sure and many do without an issue. I'd just rather play it safe. I figure that where it sits now the 150 hour mark gives me another year before I have to open it up. Bought the bike in 2011 as a left over (its a 2009) so that's 4 years which isn't bad at all in my book.

Thanks Hezz. So your going with 150 based on gut feeling of playing it safe backed up by how it runs now and numerous discussions including shop mechanics. If your manual is ~60 hrs, that's in the EXC window as well depending if the eXC is being used competitively (50 hrs) or normal use (105hrs). I'm not kind to my bike so I'd say based on my manual I'd need to rebuild at 75hrs but im well past that. Hence my request in this thread to see what others are doing.

Ok. That's a start. 150 for you.

Any others with 100+ hrs and no intentions of rebuilding their 500 yet or folks that have rebuilt and if so, when and why?

I've seen guys with 200-300 hundred hours on their 500's with nothing more than oil changes done. I'm not a hard rider so I'm hoping to get that on my bike before a rebuild

Holy crap! Thats some serious seat time guys. Very good to know. I guess any worries of doing the CO 500 with a 100+ hrs on a 500 is a non issue.

Cheers and thanks.

I would say it's all about the valves. If your valves need lots of adjustment from having been a REVVVER then you should think about a rebuild. If you were not revving much and your valves needed little or no adjustments then keep riding.

Sold my 12 model 215 hrs on it with only replacing the clutch,more me than the bike, never needed a valve shim,now have 105 hours on the 14 and its needed the valves shimmed a few times but still going great.

I would say it's all about the valves. If your valves need lots of adjustment from having been a REVVVER then you should think about a rebuild.

I've checked them twice in the last 2yrs with no adjustment needed. I need to check them again. Good call on the valves.

Why is everyone so intense on rebuilding the motors on these bikes or any bikes for that matter.  Sure is you have a 2 Stroke, as I do, and you hear the piston slapping you put a new top end.  However, these are four stroke motors.  Just like your car.  Do you replace your car motor after X amount of hours/miles? 

Just keep the bike maintained.  Change your Oil regularly. Keep your Air Filter clean.  Adjust the Valves as needed. Use quality Gas and go ride.  If you start loosing performance then it is time to do some engine work.  I am sure most of us are not top level racers.  We don't notice a 1 or 2 percent difference in performance or even 5%.  We all know our bikes intimately better than our wives and girlfriends.  We know when there is a problem and we fix it.  If it isn't broke why mess with it. 

I have a 04 WR450 that has over 15,000 miles on it. (I stopped keep track)  God only knows how many hours.  Sure it has had some issues, mostly electrical, but I have never done anything to the motor other than adjust the valves.  It still fires up and rides strong.  I think I will wait till there is a real problem with the motor.  Then I will either fix it or get rid of it.  After this many miles, I am well ahead of the game and a winner either way.  I am hoping my KTM will do the same.  Base on what I seen thus far, I am pretty confident that my 500 EXC will exceed my expectations.

• Like 3

Why is everyone so intense on rebuilding the motors on these bikes or any bikes for that matter. Sure is you have a 2 Stroke, as I do, and you hear the piston slapping you put a new top end. However, these are four stroke motors. Just like your car. Do you replace your car motor after X amount of hours/miles?

Just keep the bike maintained. Change your Oil regularly. Keep your Air Filter clean. Adjust the Valves as needed. Use quality Gas and go ride. If you start loosing performance then it is time to do some engine work. I am sure most of us are not top level racers. We don't notice a 1 or 2 percent difference in performance or even 5%. We all know our bikes intimately better than our wives and girlfriends. We know when there is a problem and we fix it. If it isn't broke why mess with it.

I have a 04 WR450 that has over 15,000 miles on it. (I stopped keep track) God only knows how many hours. Sure it has had some issues, mostly electrical, but I have never done anything to the motor other than adjust the valves. It still fires up and rides strong. I think I will wait till there is a real problem with the motor. Then I will either fix it or get rid of it. After this many miles, I am well ahead of the game and a winner either way. I am hoping my KTM will do the same. Base on what I seen thus far, I am pretty confident that my 500 EXC will exceed my expectations.

All great points JVP. This thread is not a thread on "wanting" to rebuild the motors, it is a thread checking to see where folks are on their 500s in order to help provide riders a realistic baseline of ground truth since the 500 has only been out for two years. One could argue the motor has been around much longer, but many changes were made. I started the thread because I punish my motor on the trails and I'm sitting over the recommended top end service. I'm not a professional racer, rather an old washed up amateur New England MX guy, but I routinely ride 4-8 hrs in 105+ degree open desert weather bouncing off the limiter in each gear. as such, I don't believe my motor would qualify for the average rebuild time. With that said, I'm prepping for a two week ride later this summer where i have never ridden at altitudes of 13k+ feet and wanted to see if I should rebuild before I go if others have done the same since I don't want a KTM spoiling the trip for many others, or, should I not even worry about it. Based on great input from all of you, I'm confident my 130 hrs is nothing to worry about and I'm just going to gear the bike down to a snails pace for technical climbing and ride it as is. Thanks to all for the input.

I am going on a Five Day Dual Sport Trip to Mammoth Lakes and I am not worried about my bike's performance. More worried about my performance over that many days.

I am going on a Five Day Dual Sport Trip to Mammoth Lakes and I am not worried about my bike's performance. More worried about my performance over that many days.

Amen on that.

The new motors seems pretty strong. We put about  170 hours on the 14 450xcf and never touched a thing. 

Why is everyone so intense on rebuilding the motors on these bikes or any bikes for that matter.  Sure is you have a 2 Stroke, as I do, and you hear the piston slapping you put a new top end.  However, these are four stroke motors.  Just like your car.  Do you replace your car motor after X amount of hours/miles? 

Just keep the bike maintained.  Change your Oil regularly. Keep your Air Filter clean.  Adjust the Valves as needed. Use quality Gas and go ride.  If you start loosing performance then it is time to do some engine work.  I am sure most of us are not top level racers.  We don't notice a 1 or 2 percent difference in performance or even 5%.  We all know our bikes intimately better than our wives and girlfriends.  We know when there is a problem and we fix it.  If it isn't broke why mess with it. 

I have a 04 WR450 that has over 15,000 miles on it. (I stopped keep track)  God only knows how many hours.  Sure it has had some issues, mostly electrical, but I have never done anything to the motor other than adjust the valves.  It still fires up and rides strong.  I think I will wait till there is a real problem with the motor.  Then I will either fix it or get rid of it.  After this many miles, I am well ahead of the game and a winner either way.  I am hoping my KTM will do the same.  Base on what I seen thus far, I am pretty confident that my 500 EXC will exceed my expectations.

I second this post, I am thinking of getting a dual sport, street legal, and want the 500, I have been doing some reading and it kinda scares me how much you seem to have to work on these things. Then I thought well I can buy a new XR650L and ride it around the earth twice before touching the thing, and the price is cheap compared to the KTM, JVP do you have the legal one ? can you post a pic of it ? they look badass, way better than the XR...Roost

• Like 1

I am thinking of getting a dual sport, street legal, and want the 500, I have been doing some reading and it kinda scares me how much you seem to have to work on these things.

I haven't heard of anyone needing to work on any internals. All work I've read about and completed myself in just over two years is adding farkles and other normal maint. My 500 has been a freaken Swiss watch thus far...flawless.

• Like 1

I second this post, I am thinking of getting a dual sport, street legal, and want the 500, I have been doing some reading and it kinda scares me how much you seem to have to work on these things. Then I thought well I can buy a new XR650L and ride it around the earth twice before touching the thing, and the price is cheap compared to the KTM, JVP do you have the legal one ? can you post a pic of it ? they look badass, way better than the XR...Roost

There is no comparison between the XR650 and the KTM, outside of both being road legal and having tires you can't put them in the same class.  Not saying the KTM is the best option if you are looking for a high mileage dual sport with no maintenance but when it comes to enjoying true "offroad" riding the orange bike shines in every way.  My 2012 has about 125 hours on it at this point and besides normal chain/sprocket/tires/oil/filter changes it has been rock solid, valves were checked one time around 500 miles and they were fine.

• Like 1