Sign in to follow this  

Help on New Handlebars 1982 XR200R

I am on a mission to update my 1982 XR200R. I had my Fox Twin Clicker shock rebuilt with a Gold Valve. I am going to install emulators on my Simons 38 mm forks. I am looking to upgrade my 33 year old chrome moly handlebars with the old fashioned Barkbusters to Renthal 7/8 inch aluminum handlebars with Cycra Pro-bend guards. I was thinking of getting the Ricky Carmichael/Alessi bend mini bars -29.13" wide     4.65 " height and 1.65" sweep. I am a taller rider at 6' 1".

Has anyone used these or what Renthal 7/8 bar have you been happy with on your XR? Or what bar are you happy with?

Edited by bimbamboom

I have a set of the Renthal 971's (I think they are the Ricky carmichael ones?) on one of my bikes and I really get on well with them as they are comfy both when sat down or stood up and the bend of them encourages an elbows up stance. I hve them rolled slightly forward and they don't bend my wrists funny like some other bends do.

Plan is to put them on the XR and the KTM eventually too.  But, what I am finding with my XR (an 82 like yours) is that I'm finding I'm putting a lot of weight over the front so might look into bar risers or the Ricky Carmichael high bend ones.  I'm about an inch shorter than you.

Regarding handgurds though, mine's got the ali tank (might just have been the UK ones that did) and I had to run the centre clamps of my wrap around guards upside down so they cleared the front of the fuel tank.  The Cycra guards might mount differently - I know my last set before these were OK but they were all plastic wrap arounds instead of the ali reinforced ones.

Edited by DR small

My '82 XR 200R has aluminum handlebars but that's about all I know so not much help.

How do you like your Gold Valve shock? AFAIK, mine is stock and it does not have very good small bump compliance. When I ride on loose, chunky stuff the rear end breaks loose constantly. I set the rebound to "3" which helped a little.

Definitely looking for an upgrade. Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

I haven't ridden it yet with the Twinclicker Fox shock since it was modified with the Gold Valve and it will be a few months before I do(leaving Baja for summer). One option for your stock shock is a Works Performance "Heart Transplant" where Works Performance rebuilds your stock shock with modern internals. I don't know anyone who has done this.  http://www.worksperformance.com/html/repair_and_services.html. 

The stock shock is pretty dated. A shock fluid change is something that you should do at the least on the shock if nothing else.

The stock shock is pretty dated.

Thanks for the encouragement, definitely sounds very worthwhile. I will probably do this over the winter and report back.

For its time the XR suspension was innovative. But I keep comparing it to the Fox shock on my '13 Giant Trance mountain bike which has amazing non-linearity. So that will keep reminding me to do this upgrade ;)