Sign in to follow this  

Drz400s or WR250r

I know this topic has been beat to death. A friend of mine is beating me to death! What would you buy? He wants brand new and won't splurge for the KTM. He will use it 50/50 and A LOT dude can ride his ass off! He has been into mountain biking for the last 15 years but previously all dirt bike. Not a big guy at all 5'8" 165 about the same as me. I let ride my z that has a 440 and a slip on and explained that stock they are dogs. He will buy immediately buy a full pipe and fuel mods as soon as he chooses the bike.

I read the z is 32 stock and the r is 28. Weight is 317 for the z and 290 for the r. The suspension on the r is leaps and bound better than the z and the geometry for the r is much better too, so I've read. Are there folks here with direct knowledge of each and can give a definitive "get the..." So he will leave me the hell alone?!?!

Thanx for reading!

I don't have direct experience with a WR250.  I'm sure it's a great, well capable bike.  But I've owned lots of MX bikes.  Now I'm a HUGE fan of the 'Mighty DRZ'.  It's a great do-all, reliable, low cost, low maintinance bike.

So my vote would have to go to the DRZ.  :thumbsup:

Edited by billdirt1
  • Like 1

There are other options, Husqvarna 610, the 2008+ are EFI and 6 speeds. The extra displacement trumps a built DRZ and replacing the pipe nets you another 10 hp, the maintenance intervals aren't that bad either. I've seen plenty for under 4k.

• Like 1

I have a bonee stock S, my buddy has an Plated E, and another has a Wr250x with exhaust(the supermoto) and it is worthless compared to the Z for commuting! Woods I'm not sure though but for a reliable bike I would go Z over wr but if he was mechanically sound and didn't mind maintenance you can get a.left over husky stock from when bmw owned it for less than a new Z and it will spank the Z in the woods and power wise!

• Like 2

He's think new and only between the z and r. I am partial to the z myself....I only ever ridden the z though...

I had a WR250F...felt like I needed to wind it out to really get the power out of it. It got old after awhile.

• Like 2

There are other options, Husqvarna 610, the 2008+ are EFI and 6 speeds. The extra displacement trumps a built DRZ and replacing the pipe nets you another 10 hp, the maintenance intervals aren't that bad either. I've seen plenty for under 4k.

I disagree that adding a full exhaust gets 10hp out of a 610. I put a Leo Vince titanium on mine and it might have been 3-4 hp at most

• Like 1

I disagree that adding a full exhaust gets 10hp out of a 610. I put a Leo Vince titanium on mine and it might have been 3-4 hp at most

Must of misread SMJ on that part.

I know this topic has been beat to death. A friend of mine is beating me to death! What would you buy? He wants brand new and won't splurge for the KTM. He will use it 50/50 and A LOT dude can ride his ass off! He has been into mountain biking for the last 15 years but previously all dirt bike. Not a big guy at all 5'8" 165 about the same as me. I let ride my z that has a 440 and a slip on and explained that stock they are dogs. He will buy immediately buy a full pipe and fuel mods as soon as he chooses the bike.

I read the z is 32 stock and the r is 28. Weight is 317 for the z and 290 for the r. The suspension on the r is leaps and bound better than the z and the geometry for the r is much better too, so I've read. Are there folks here with direct knowledge of each and can give a definitive "get the..." So he will leave me the hell alone?!?!

Thanx for reading!

Why is he set on paying 8k for a brand new stock one when he can get a modded out one for half the price!?!?

Thanx for reading!

The wr250r is a newer generation of motorcycle. It has 27,000 mile valve CHECKS, which rarely need adjustment, unlike the drz. It has a 6 speed transmission. It has fuel injection. It has better suspension (the huge improvement). It has a 400watt stator that isn't prone to failure like the drz's. It has better lighting, electrics, and handling. 

There are very few reports of engine failures from the wr250r/x crowd. Very few valve issues, I don't recall hearing of -any- system failures from valve train on those bikes. 

Commuting on the wr250r/x is just as easy as the drz. The low end grunt isn't as powerful, but we're talking about a motorcycle that makes plenty of power for it's purpose. 

If you friend is paying the premium of buying a new bike, I would say it's quite foolish to spend that much money when used options are out there for much less, and also that considering a drz instead of the wr is a double helping of foolish, if you're shopping at dealers. 

Both bikes are a compromise machine. Neither is a race bike, light, or powerful. The wr is just the newer version of compromise ;-) 

Next, the wr250F - is a completely different bike. There are two models of the F, the older steel frame is more desireable for a few reasons. Do not confuse the wr250R/X with the wr250f, it is a BEAST that wants to be raced, not dualsported. 

• Like 2

I have ridden the WRR (completely stock) and IMO it is a better bike in every way than my DRZ with 3x3. Stock vs stock it is no comparison. If you compare a built WRR to a built DRZ it gets a little tougher. The WRR will always win in the dirt, but a built DRZ will dominate the road.

The only issue I have heard of the with WRR is fuel pump failures. Only the early 2008 models are affected. For the late 2008 to present they switched to a different fuel pump that has been problem free as far as I know.

Ive had both, put 15k on the WR, never a problem. Great suspension, decent power with a pipe, programmer and some other mods.

The wheel base was small and i felt cramped when hauling my camping gear. I sold it and bought a DRZ becuase we were doing trips down in Baja and I didnt want a fuel injected bike that i couldnt do a field repair on. I have a kickstart kit for it, giant safari tank and some other swag that make it a good bike for those rides, more comfy than the WR. DRZ is a good bike for what I do but its wieght and how its over the front end makes it a handfull in tight trails, sand and slow tight trails.. DRZ will haul gear, cruise comfortably and get you back without drama. KTM is the way to go if you are just doing day rides, more power, performance and better suspension. KTMs ( i know ill get flamed for this) arent bullet proof or meant for week long rides hauling gear. I have seen my friends bikes, 525, 530 go down and not run again on our trips through Utah. I have pictures of my sons Super Sherpa pulling a few KTMs as proof if you need it. Jap bikes are a compromise.

• Like 3

I was either gonna buy a WRR or a DRZ,  after riding both,  the DRZ was the clear winner because it has so much more pulling power,  the WRR is nice,  but you can still feel that its a 250.

• Like 1

Just got back from a camping trip in Mendocino on my new to me 250x, it was a blast. Rips in the dirt and handled way better than my old Z. My Z was so much faster in a straight line, but for this trip, the WR was perfect. Also impressed with its highway ability.

I was really bummed last week after buying the WR because my first impression was I just bought a beginners bike, but after putting 300 miles on it over the weekend and hitting different terrain, I am thoroughly impressed.

I still miss my Z, but the WR has some real potential.

• Like 1

I have a plated E and my buddy has the wrx with a full pipe but no tune and it has no balls at all compared to my bike. I had an S model before with an fcr and full pipe and it was definetly more powerfull and just felt more usable than the WR. I just feel like 250cc isn't enough for a dual purpose motorcycle. you have to wind the hell out of it to make any power.

Do you mean a competition version ?

No, street legal dual sport. A guy has one locally that he dual sported and it's quite a beast.