Sign in to follow this  

Attempting my first stator rewind

I have a bad stator on my  01' CR250 and since i enjoy working on the bikes so much i figured why not ? Never try never fail. Making a parts list i've found 1000' of 28 ga. enamel wire 15 bucks and the enamel resin to bake on . I have an extra coil and cdi box incase i cook it  :lol: but i figured it would be worth it if i can gain a little hands on knowledge . Anyone have any tips, suggestions or any input is greatly appreciated . 

IMG_2310.JPG

IMG_2314.JPG

IMG_2318.JPG

Edited by Beau 88
  • Like 1

Ricky stator would be who i recommend talking to.

I just wouldn't have the patience to attempt this.

Edited by ridngslikecrack
  • Like 2

interesting please keep us updated

Got it rewound and works great . It's really simple and only cost 8 bucks to do. :thumbsup:

Honestly I would have never thought to try this till now. I would have just gone out and bought another one. Great thread. Any more pictures?
  • Like 3

Honestly I would have never thought to try this till now. I would have just gone out and bought another one. Great thread. Any more pictures?

No, i didn't even think to take pictures i was in such a hurry to get it back on the bike and try it out . Started right up , after i remembered to turn the fuel on  :facepalm: . I never thought of it either until a few days of searching for replacements and all over 100 bucks , Then looking on ebay at magnet wire / enamel coated copper wire and enamel insulation . I figured it was broke already i couldn't screw it up much worse , for 5 bucks worth of wire the worst that could happen was it not work and me have to buy a new one. I let my son ride it for about 2 hours today to see if it would get hot and stall . It's all good so more rides tomorrow  :thumbsup:

I'm planning on re-winding my own stators, and I really like the trick linked to from here of measuring the length of each wrap, instead of taking a chance of mis-counting turns on any given pole. But, you really should consider measuring the length of old wire from one pole as a reference - if you are using the exact same gauge. Otherwise, it might be a good idea to sacrifice one pole's worth of wire to find the new length, by counting the turns on one pole then unwinding that and lay the wire out to measure it's length. Don't trust that section of wire for a 2nd wrap, just cut that one loose and start fresh with measured lengths. There's a really good article on another site that looks into the science involved with designing a stator winding from scratch, for those of you who want more power than stock: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189734&highlight=stators+demystified

Edited by Big Dirt Spray O Roses
  • Like 1

U guys are brave !! Good to see people trying to tackle jobs like this, learning and saving money in the process. I can see this job would take lot's of patience.

• Like 2

I'm planning on re-winding my own stators, and I really like the trick linked to from here of measuring the length of each wrap, instead of taking a chance of mis-counting turns on any given pole. But, you really should consider measuring the length of old wire from one pole as a reference - if you are using the exact same gauge. Otherwise, it might be a good idea to sacrifice one pole's worth of wire to find the new length, by counting the turns on one pole then unwinding that and lay the wire out to measure it's length. Don't trust that section of wire for a 2nd wrap, just cut that one loose and start fresh with measured lengths. There's a really good article on another site that looks into the science involved with designing a stator winding from scratch, for those of you who want more power than stock: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189734&highlight=stators+demystified

I counted wraps on the first pole 210 coming off i put 250 back on each pole . Plenty of room and not going to harm anything. I used a little over 400ft. of wire that isn't bad for 8-10 bucks depending on where you get it. Everything you need is on ebay and Amazon . 

I counted wraps on the first pole 210 coming off i put 250 back on each pole . Plenty of room and not going to harm anything. I used a little over 400ft. of wire that isn't bad for 8-10 bucks depending on where you get it. Everything you need is on ebay and Amazon . 

From above, looks like SnowMule used a 2-pound/500 foot spool. Hard to say from the pic but 20 or 28 gauge? And you used a little over 400 feet, so that looks like everybody else can purchase a 2-pound spool and not worry about running short.

I think the spray varnish linked by SnowMule is a lot better choice than what I've seen elsewhere. I see on some other re-winds, guys are questioning what sort of 2-part home or marine repair epoxy to slop all over their windings, but none of that stuff is what you want if you have the choice. The Sprayon line is engineered for the job and helps keep the coils from getting hot.

I'm not sure yet, but I might get the re-wind job on a friends CR250. Depends on what he wants to do. But for sure, I'm re-winding my XL600. I'm having a hard time at night riding into oncoming lights. For the time being, I just aim 3 feet to the right of the stupid euro lights and just pray to the god's of pavement the idiot isn't driving in the wrong part of the road! Soon, I'll be running some 2000 lumen lowbeams, just so I can see where the ditch is.

• Like 1

From above, looks like SnowMule used a 2-pound/500 foot spool. Hard to say from the pic but 20 or 28 gauge? And you used a little over 400 feet, so that looks like everybody else can purchase a 2-pound spool and not worry about running short.

I think the spray varnish linked by SnowMule is a lot better choice than what I've seen elsewhere. I see on some other re-winds, guys are questioning what sort of 2-part home or marine repair epoxy to slop all over their windings, but none of that stuff is what you want if you have the choice. The Sprayon line is engineered for the job and helps keep the coils from getting hot.

I'm not sure yet, but I might get the re-wind job on a friends CR250. Depends on what he wants to do. But for sure, I'm re-winding my XL600. I'm having a hard time at night riding into oncoming lights. For the time being, I just aim 3 feet to the right of the stupid euro lights and just pray to the god's of pavement the idiot isn't driving in the wrong part of the road! Soon, I'll be running some 2000 lumen lowbeams, just so I can see where the ditch is.

My 01' cr250 was 28 ga. The spray on or paint on is fine , the paint on you use less because your not shooting it into the air.  :lol:   http://www.ebay.com/itm/321367313383

• Like 1