Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Please suggest specific things to look for when inspecting a used 2006 XR650L

First, thanks for any advice ahead of time.

I'm going to make it short for now. I'll add more info in a couple of hours.

I'm looking at buying a used 650L 2006 with 3600 miles. It looks decent in the pictures. I've ridden almost my entire life since I was 5. I'm 36 now. I've done alot of research over the last couple of years and definatly want a 650L.

Is there anything specific to the 650L you folks can reccomend that I look for when I go to see it? (It's a 2 hour drive) It has a full exhaust on it and looks stock other than that.

I am prepaired to walk away from the purchase if it looks fishy.

There is another one much closer to me for 1k more which means a short term loan for 1K but it is prestine, stock, adult owned and cared for by an avid biker. Under 1k miles, recently ran with cleaned carb and new battery.

I've found my self in a conundrum. Please advise.

It seems odd to me to have a motorcycle 7-8 years old with such low mileage. What do you all think?

Edited by Jewell

Just check the barrings and make sure evey thing works right and no strange noises are made just the normal stuff

Just check the barrings and make sure evey thing works right and no strange noises are made just the normal stuff

Just so I'm clear,

stearing head bearings, wheel bearings, swing arm bearings. Are there other bearings that I'm no remembering? Sorry my mind is racing on things that I need to think of.

I would have to think a bike that is not in normal operation is going to have some strange sounds from sitting so long.

Edited by Jewell

Just so I'm clear,

head bearings, wheel bearings, swing arm bearings. Are there other bearings that I'm no remembering? Sorry my mind is racing on things that I need

Just so I'm clear,

head bearings, wheel bearings, swing arm bearings. Are there other bearings that I'm no remembering? Sorry my mind is racing on things that I need to think of.

I would have to think a bike that is not in normal operation is going to have some strange sounds from sitting so long.

Yea the bearings a steering front rear wheels swing arm linkage top of rear shock. And if your able to get front end up move the forks up and down if they move a lot it needs new oil in forks

I should be able to bounce the bike and find out if the forks or shock need oil. Plus the external seals I can inspect and try to look for any evidence of leaks.

Besides that anyone have any advise. Maybe looking for things mechanically?

I'm going to look underneath for any rock damage, I assume I should slide down the fork protectors and look behind them?

Any thing else that might be hidden that I should look at? Please remember that I've never even seen an xr650L used in real life. I feel like I'm in the dark here.