Sign in to follow this  

Just got a tubliss

I have been having some problems with flats on my so I am trying out the tubliss set up .what is the toughest/ best tire to use on my rear. I had a Bridgestone 404 and I absolutely hate. I think the traction is terrible and after a ride and a half I have two big slices and ripped off a handful of nobs. I'm thinking about either the at81, mx52, or the mx32. Any thoughts?

IME the Dunlop's 31/51/71's are not tough enough. I constantly got puncture flats with them. That being said, I haven't tried the new MX52/32's so I can't comment on them. Out of the ones you listed, I would try the MX52 first but a lot depends on where, what, and how you ride.

I'm running the Maxxis SI front and Maxxis IT rear (not the Desert version!). While the IT's aren't great at normal pressures they are very good, IMO, when you get the pressures down below 10 psi. I'm currently run 5 psi and normal keep it close to that no matter where I ride. Plus, they're excellent at resisting punctures and last a long time. I'm a B-level rider, ride everything from wide open dez to gnarly hike-a-bike singletrack and occasionally the MX track. I'm on a small bore, yet heavy, KDX 200 as well and I'm more of a rear steer kind of rider.

I have been having some problems with flats on my so I am trying out the tubliss set up .what is the toughest/ best tire to use on my rear. I had a Bridgestone 404 and I absolutely hate. I think the traction is terrible and after a ride and a half I have two big slices and ripped off a handful of nobs. I'm thinking about either the at81, mx52, or the mx32. Any thoughts?

What type of riding are you doing?

Out of the tires you mentioned, the Dunlop AT81"RC" at VERY LOW PSI is AWESOME just about everywhere!

Currently I'm running the Dunlop D708 front @ 8psi and Maxxis Desert IT rear @ 5psi with the Tubliss setup.   I also tried 5psi and 3psi and was very pleased with that too.  The traction is unreal compared to the stock Dunlop MX51 tires @ 11psi.  I didn't think this kind of traction in mud was physically possible.  The tires are WAY stiffer/beefier than the MX51s which is what you want.  It's also nice on the butt being able to feel the tires squish a bit absorbing shock at those low pressures.  The conditions I ride in range from street, hard pack dirt, mud, clay, rock.  I've only been stuck once now and it was when I tried going through a mud pit that I had no business attempting.  I made it half way but stopped because I didn't have enough momentum from the beginning.

Climbing hills is crazy easy now.  I just lug up them barely above idle while others are sliding all over the place and revving the bike super high.

Edited by DuncR6

Dunlop 739AT is the toughest tire I have used with tubliss in the past 4-5 years.

I have talked many times with Jeff who works at nuetech (owner of TuBliss) and this is his highest recommended tire.

The AT81RC gets better traction and is decently tough, but not as tough at the 739.

Be sure to carry a tire plug kit and small bicycle pump with you as punctures still do happen every once in a while, but with these with you, you can plug and fill the tire and be on your way in 5 min or so!

Edited by woods-rider

I would stay away from the Dunlops with a tubliss.  I could only get mine to last a ride or two before they were wore out, and was constantly getting punctures in them.

I like the bridgestone 404, or the Maxxis.

The tire or the tubliss wore out after a ride or two?

I have had Tubliss front and rear for about 4-5 years now and ride roughly 100 hrs a year (according to my hourmeter) and have yet to have a TuBliss system wear out.

The tire or the tubliss wore out after a ride or two?

I have had Tubliss front and rear for about 4-5 years now and ride roughly 100 hrs a year (according to my hourmeter) and have yet to have a TuBliss system wear out.

The tire - My tubliss's have been on two bike now and still work fine.

IMO the dunlops are just not strong enough to be ran at low pressure.

The tire - My tubliss's have been on two bike now and still work fine.

IMO the dunlops are just not strong enough to be ran at low pressure.

For the first two years I ran tubliss I was running a bunch of different tires from maxxis to bridgestone to perelli etc. I was having major puncture issues and was about to throw in the towel and go back to tubes. Then I called Jeff at Neutech. He recommended the Dunlop 739AT rear and Dunlop 908 front. Problem solved! over the past 3 or so years (read ~300 hrs of off road riding) i have only gotten 4 punctures. With tubes I was averaging about 3-4 flats a year and they are much harder to fix than a hole in the tire with Tubliss. I have never gotten a puncture on the 739 either, 2 of the 4 punctures came on my last trail ride on a Dunlop AT81RC.

For the first two years I ran tubliss I was running a bunch of different tires from maxxis to bridgestone to perelli etc. I was having major puncture issues and was about to throw in the towel and go back to tubes. Then I called Jeff at Neutech. He recommended the Dunlop 739AT rear and Dunlop 908 front. Problem solved! over the past 3 or so years (read ~300 hrs of off road riding) i have only gotten 4 punctures. With tubes I was averaging about 3-4 flats a year and they are much harder to fix than a hole in the tire with Tubliss. I have never gotten a puncture on the 739 either, 2 of the 4 punctures came on my last trail ride on a Dunlop AT81RC.

Did he give any recommendation for MX tires?  I ride 70% mx and 30% desert single track.  I am on the fence regarding tubliss because of the mx part. 

Did he give any recommendation for MX tires?  I ride 70% mx and 30% desert single track.  I am on the fence regarding tubliss because of the mx part. 

I have not asked about MX, but these are the tires he recommended in order of toughness (top=toughest) for off road.

Rear:

Dunlop D739AT

Bridgestone ED78

Dunlop AT81RC

Sedona 887IT

Front:

Dunlop D908

Bridgestone ED11

Edited by woods-rider

I ride in very rocky north Jersey trails by the way. I ended up getting the at81 rear. As of now I did not get the tubliss for my front, I figured I would see how I like the rear first. Knock on wood I have not had issues with flats in the front. I run the Bridgestone uhd tube and I l love it.

I ride in very rocky north Jersey trails by the way. I ended up getting the at81 rear. As of now I did not get the tubliss for my front, I figured I would see how I like the rear first. Knock on wood I have not had issues with flats in the front. I run the Bridgestone uhd tube and I l love it.

Did you get the AT81"RC" - or just the standard AT81?

I'm on a small bore, yet heavy, KDX 200 as well and I'm more of a rear steer kind of rider.

What is a heavy kdx? Never heard of one... Edited by Jx3

What is a heavy kdx? Never heard of one...

Really? All KDX's are fairly heavy unless they're the older air cooled models. My '90 weighs in a 238 ready to ride with 1 gallon of fuel. So, add another 14 pounds for a full tank (3.4g) and that would make it roughly 252 pounds. I don't know about you but that sure isn't light weight in my book!

Hmmm I really didn't know their was a difference

You need the RC if you want to run lower pressure, or use in rocky conditions. -The standard AT81 is kinda delicate.

I'm going to imagine with my luck it's just a regular at81. I am going to try it out at this point. I'm also going to run about 10-11psi instead of 7. I am a bigger guy, about 310 with gear so I figure I'm going to need the extra psi

Really? All KDX's are fairly heavy unless they're the older air cooled models. My '90 weighs in a 238 ready to ride with 1 gallon of fuel. So, add another 14 pounds for a full tank (3.4g) and that would make it roughly 252 pounds. I don't know about you but that sure isn't light weight in my book!

Hmm. Didn't realize they weighed that much. My friends h(2004) series is much lighter than his dads 450 exc. And when riding it, it feels lighter than my xr200, but I know my xr is lighter by a lot from loading them into the truck