Sign in to follow this  

"Technical" track

Hey guys I just recently started racing moto, just got kicked up from beginner to nov. Was a bigger jump than I expected. But I've been talking to a ton of guys at all the different tracks and I've heard nothing but this track is technical, that track isn't. It seems like everybody thinks a different track is technical. What exactly do they mean? The tight, hard tracks where more skill is required or the wide open up and down hill tracks? I sound like a complete noob but it's been bugging me. All I've been focusing on is pulling the holeshot and winning!! ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402024933.157097.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402024933.157097.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402024933.157097.jpg

I call technical tight with a lot of small jumps, whoops and obtactles such as turns that keep the speed down and you concentrating.

The opposite is an "open" track where everything is fast and flowing, hitting jumps in high gears etc.

But I'm not a track guy.

Edit: good work by the way, especially if you're getting holeshots and winning.

Edited by BushPig
  • Like 2

I call technical tight with a lot of small jumps, whoops and obtactles such as turns that keep the speed down and you concentrating.

The opposite is an "open" track where everything is fast and flowing, hitting jumps in high gears etc.

But I'm not a track guy.

good generic definition, for some, just attempting to find the starting line could be a technical track.
  • Like 2

But I'm not a track guy.

thanks! That was my lead in the pic of my first race! It's just weird to hear that every track is technical to different people haha
  • Like 1

good generic definition, for some, just attempting to find the starting line could be a technical track.

getting to the line at the right moto is even harder!
  • Like 2

It really depends on what you're good at.

So a deep set of oddly spaced whoops, could be technical. If you suck at whoops!

Some have a hard time at up hill off camber turns. Step up jumps, dragon back, wall jumps, or even a triple where the middle jump is higher than the other two.

If you don't find difficulty in any track or any obstacles, you're in the wrong class!

• Like 2

The defintion of 'technical' varies among beginners because each has so many weaknesses. Veteran riders would agree with Bushpig's post. 

• Like 2

you might do better posting this in the MX subforum instead of this offroad subforum. there are plenty of guys who do both, but this subforum is geared more for hare scrambles, enduros, trail riding, etc.

the MX subforum is gear toward, well, MX. since you are asking about MX tracks (at least, i think that is what you are asking about), those guys would probably have more insight.

regarding hare scrambles, my definition of more technical is courses with lots of tight single track, hard hill climbs, rocks, etc.

Edited by LittleRedToyota

A track being technical has nothing to do with tightness or the speed involved. It has more to do with the precision and skill required to ride the track. A very one lined smooth tracks with lots of run up to all the jumps, big landings and area to brake before corners, sections that don't require entry speed or rhythm are some things that wouldn't be considered technical. It's hard to describe technical, abrupt elevation changes, ruts, multiple line choice, jumps right out of and into corners, difficult braking, rough, blown out corners. Technical tracks have a lot more things to expose weak spots and cause mistakes. They make it easier to see differences in skill between riders.

• Like 1