Sign in to follow this  

Anyone use or recommend Castrol Delo 400 oil for a cr125?

I have a 2006 cr125. I currently run either what the book says or my local shop said the best to run is 80w. I use the bel-ray stuff and my last oil change I switched to the 80w. My friend uses the Castrol delo 400 on his 2013 kx450f. I'm wondering if anyone has used it, how they liked it, if there is a difference or if it could be bad to use on my bike?

I want to use this because it is like $13 for a gallon compared to the stuff I'm using that is $14 for a quart. It will save me a lot of money and I will be able to change my oil a lot more with not having to worry about the price.

automatic transmission fluid. Cheaper still is oil sold at Costco. When they have a coupon it's $2 per quart. In a two stroke transmission and clutch the viscosity of the oil does not matter. ATF works too but usually about $3 per quart. 

So $3 a quart will be the same price as me getting the Castrol delo 400 in the gallon for $12 at my local walmart.

I'm just wondering if people use it and if I should switch to it?

I use 5$/quart 10w 40 motorcycle oil from Autozone for my 96 125. Same stuff I run in my xr400. I'm wondering if I'm an idiot. The manual recommends 10w 40 I think....? :excuseme:

Is running ATF better? I might look in to that. 

So $3 a quart will be the same price as me getting the Castrol delo 400 in the gallon for $12 at my local walmart.

I'm just wondering if people use it and if I should switch to it?

I've used delo 400 diesel motor oil before, no problems at all.

The delo 400, if I remember right, being a diesel spec oil, will have more zinc additives (good for trans gears) w/ no energy conserving slippery stuff (good for clutch discs) vs. motor oil.

btw...I thought delo 400 is made by Chevron. Don't remember it being castrol. Maybe what I used isn't the same as that of yours?

I've used delo 400 diesel motor oil before, no problems at all.

The delo 400, if I remember right, being a diesel spec oil, will have more zinc additives (good for trans gears) w/ no energy conserving slippery stuff (good for clutch discs) vs. motor oil.

btw...I thought delo 400 is made by Chevron. Don't remember it being castrol. Maybe what I used isn't the same as that of yours?

I think I'm gonna go pick some up this weekend then haha.

I'm not sure if it's Castrol or chevron make. My friend told me Castrol so that's what I looked up and it says it's $12 for a gallon at Walmart. So I'll have to look when I'm at Walmart to see if there is chevron or Castrol.

I use 5$/quart 10w 40 motorcycle oil from Autozone for my 96 125. Same stuff I run in my xr400. I'm wondering if I'm an idiot. The manual recommends 10w 40 I think....? :excuseme:

Is running ATF better? I might look in to that. 

buy a quart of each. you decide. neither will harm your motor. 

Delo is a Chevron product. I use it in my CR250 with a Rekluse Z-start pro and have been very happy.

I use delo 400 15-40 in my cr500 all of my other bikes and vehicles its good oil you wont have any problems . Rotella is the equivalent but I have an endless free supply of delo so thats what I use

I switched to 15/40 Delo(Chevron) a couple years ago in everything I own. Fourstroke only.  It totally eliminated a slight oil burning issue in my 100K + Dakota and made all my engines much quieter. I'm sold.

Edited by YHGEORGE

I switched to 15/40 Delo(Chevron) a couple years ago in everything I own. Fourstroke only.  It totally eliminated a slight oil burning issue in my 100K + Dakota and made all my engines much quieter. I,m sold.

and Costco sells it cheap cheap cheap. In a car it's supposed to be the wrong viscosity and cause it to lose MPG. Have not lost MPG in my Honda Civic or Accord using this oil. :excuseme:

I really bought the delo 400 to use in a 30 yr old BMW car instead of high mileage motor oil. The guys who maintain old classic euro cars posts up really good results w/ using a diesel motor oil for its outstanding lubrication with overhead cam and valve train. The extra zinc provides a healthy layer of lubrication for the valve seats on these old cars

But on a two stroke dirt bike, I'm pretty confident that you can even use old Crisco oil captured out of a local hamburger joint's grease fryer, and it wouldn't hurt a thing. :jawdrop:  They are bulletproof.

Edited by jeddclampette