Sign in to follow this  

California Title Jumpers (or floaters)

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with registering a jump title bike.

Quick overview,  A jump title is when someone buys a vehicle, receives the title (pink slip), and never registers it in their name, upon selling the vehicle they hand the title over to the new owners who don't read that the title was signed by the owner previous to the current owner.

With that said, we have made this mistake with my little brother's bike,  we have done a lot of research on the subject, and are having a really hard time getting this kid to sign a bill of sale, we assume that it is because he is afraid that he will be charged a use tax, the dude won't even call us back.  We are concerned that the DMV may confiscate the title and we are stuck with a $1500 lawn ornament.

Has anyone here experienced this same issue, what was your reg experience like?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

people do this all the time with all kinds of vehicles   whats the problem?

We are unable to obtain a bill of sale, we found some verbiage on the CA DMV web site that said that a bill of sale is required when registering a jumped title, we fear that the title will be confiscated. 

Edited by tc3driver

If the title has been signed off by the OWNER on the title...  and the kid you got it from didn't sign anything forget about him.  He is irrelevant.  Sign as buyer and go register the bike.  You'll wanna call the CHP and make sure the bike is not on file as stolen.  You can also call the DMV and see what back fees are due.  Bill of sale is not needed at DMV...  just a seller signed title.

• Like 1

If the title has been signed off by the OWNER on the title...  and the kid you got it from didn't sign anything forget about him.  He is irrelevant.  Sign as buyer and go register the bike.  You'll wanna call the CHP and make sure the bike is not on file as stolen.  You can also call the DMV and see what back fees are due.  Bill of sale is not needed at DMV...  just a seller signed title.

We'll Give it a shot...

if there was no new owner that registered it....how do they know it was "jumped"?   

DMV just wants your money 

are you on drugs u sound a little paranoid

Just because you aren't paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't watching you :p

I am naturally paranoid, I don't need drugs to amplify that. :D

• Like 4

If the original seller who signed the title filed a release of liability naming the new owner and then you bought it from the new owner, that new owner must give you a bill of sale or sign that he is releasing title to you.  Otherwise, the DMV will think that you are trying to title the new owners bike without his permission.

Ha Ha...  they don't even read those things when you mail them in.  That's why they send you to collections for back fees when the buyer never registers the bike for years on end.  Just go register the bike.

• Like 2

DMV just wants your money 

are you on drugs u sound a little paranoid

true story... bottom line... make your own bill of sale... BTDT... who is gonna contest it??? worst case scenario you lien sale the thing... say it way abandoned at your property for 30 days....

• Like 1

true story... bottom line... make your own bill of sale... BTDT... who is gonna contest it??? worst case scenario you lien sale the thing... say it way abandoned at your property for 30 days....

^^^ What he said! Nobody at DMV is gonna know or even give a sh*t. They just wanna process your stuff so they can get on to the next one...."ya, my cousin gave me dis car but I don't know where the title is but he said eet runs good and I can have it for like two hundred dollars...."

I am starting to think NONE OF YOU has ever bought a vehicle in your life.

YOU DO NOT NEED A BILL OF SALE AT THE DMV...  PERIOD.  It is simply a legal document between the buyer and seller for YOUR RECORDS.

You need a signed title...  and MONEY to register this bike.

• Like 2

We are unable to obtain a bill of sale, we found some verbiage on the CA DMV web site that said that a bill of sale is required when registering a jumped title, we fear that the title will be confiscated. 

you don't need a bill of sale unless you're missing the title which you are not, therefore you do not, that is need a bill of sale.  So long as the title has a sign off, date, and amount listed, you don't need anything else.

If you're applying for a duplicate title which you are not, then you would need some form of bill of sale releasing interest.  Just remember this in case the bike hasn't been registered for a while and you get some flunky at DMV try to hit you up with late fees, OHV "off road vehicles" are exempt of late fees, so don't let them get you for that.

:devil:

That would be felonious, a dirt bike is not worth committing a felony, especially when it would ruin ones career.

^^^ What he said! Nobody at DMV is gonna know or even give a sh*t. They just wanna process your stuff so they can get on to the next one...."ya, my cousin gave me dis car but I don't know where the title is but he said eet runs good and I can have it for like two hundred dollars...."

ditto

YOU DO NOT NEED A BILL OF SALE AT THE DMV...  PERIOD.  It is simply a legal document between the buyer and seller for YOUR RECORDS.

You need a signed title...  and MONEY to register this bike.

I have only made purchases at dealers personally.

$10 says they won't even flinch

apparently they "highly recommended" a bill of sale, all the fees have been paid at this point.

If the original seller who signed the title filed a release of liability naming the new owner and then you bought it from the new owner, that new owner must give you a bill of sale or sign that he is releasing title to you.  Otherwise, the DMV will think that you are trying to title the new owners bike without his permission.

This is what we saw that has us worried, and we really have know way of knowing if the owner did. 

you don't need a bill of sale unless you're missing the title which you are not, therefore you do not, that is need a bill of sale.  So long as the title has a sign off, date, and amount listed, you don't need anything else.

If you're applying for a duplicate title which you are not, then you would need some form of bill of sale releasing interest.  Just remember this in case the bike hasn't been registered for a while and you get some flunky at DMV try to hit you up with late fees, OHV "off road vehicles" are exempt of late fees, so don't let them get you for that.

:devil:

See loco4x4's post... this is the verbiage that has us concerned... and not knowing what the outcome would be... we are hitting AAA tomorrow morning and will let you know the outcome. 

At this point, we are considering letting it be a $1500 lawn ornament, taking legal action against the previous owner, and getting a tertiary bike without making the same mistakes.

You seem to want to complicate this.  You guys got into this situation for NOT thinking at all...  now you are way OVER thinking.

1. We get a receipt to buy a toaster..  of course every idiot should fill out a BILL OF SALE when they buy a vehicle.  It's proof of the transaction between the buyer and seller and has little to nothing to do with the DMV.  But you didn't... so move forward..........
  2. Now that you guys find yourself in a jump title, just think it through.  You have a signed title from the original owner (SELLER).  You fill in the boxes as the BUYER and pay your fees. Nothing to stress about.  The only way this goes wrong is if you start flapping your gums at the DMV counter.  Hand them the title...  say I want to transfer title...  and SHUT IT ! 
  3. The reason the DMV doesn't like jump titles is because they don't get to collect Sales/Use Tax and reg fees TWICE.
  4. If you have any concerns about any of this do as I suggested FIRST... call the CHP with the VIN and make sure it isn;t stolen.  Second call the DMV with the VIN and see what back fees are due.  Two simple phone calls.

This thread is dead to me now.  :facepalm:

On second thought I have a better solution...  Sell me the bike for $500 with that jump title...  You don't need this headache...  I'll help you out...  I'll pick it up this weekend....  what is it...  and where is it ?   

• Like 3

When I had a similar issue, they did ask for a bill of sale. Guy who I bought the bike from gave me the guys number who was on the pink. Original owner wouldn't talk to me. I tried to explain I bought bike from guy who bought his bike. He thought I was scamming or something. I got frustrated and then said effe it, I tried to do it legit, but between original owner and DMV requiring the bill of sale (fees were already paid too), I decided to write my own. Did my part in black ink and original owners in blue. I used all the info off the pink to fill out his part. Then went back to DMV, nervous as all heck, and pfft, I was at booth for all of 30 seconds. Since fees were already paid, lady looked at my paper barely, and sent me on my way with new title. Few weeks later and pink in my hands with my name on it. Even though the bill of sale itself wasn't legit, everything else was.

Edited by Old Goat Ninja

YOU DO NOT NEED A BILL OF SALE AT THE DMV... PERIOD. It is simply a legal document between the buyer and seller for YOUR RECORDS.

You need a signed title... and MONEY to register this bike.

I needed a bill of sale. Because the guy I bought it from had signed the title but never registered it.

If you're afraid of skirting the law a little bit this is really not the sport for you

Skirting the law while riding where you can get a misdemeanor for riding in the wrong place is one thing, committing felony perjury on an official government document is something entirely different, and can cost professional/official certifications, such as disbarment for a lawyer, loss of CPA license, etc...  It is just not worth the risk.

When I had a similar issue, they did ask for a bill of sale. Guy who I bought the bike from gave me the guys number who was on the pink. Original owner wouldn't talk to me. I tried to explain I bought bike from guy who bought his bike. He thought I was scamming or something. I got frustrated and then said effe it, I tried to do it legit, but between original owner and DMV requiring the bill of sale (fees were already paid too), I decided to write my own. Did my part in black ink and original owners in blue. I used all the info off the pink to fill out his part. Then went back to DMV, nervous as all heck, and pfft, I was at booth for all of 30 seconds. Since fees were already paid, lady looked at my paper barely, and sent me on my way with new title. Few weeks later and pink in my hands with my name on it. Even though the bill of sale itself wasn't legit, everything else was.

I am glad for you on this, we decided that this path was not worth the risk (dont worry we have a happy ending... no not that kind get your minds out of the gutter)

I needed a bill of sale. Because the guy I bought it from had signed the title but never registered it.

:D  See I am not crazy... well maybe I am but not on this point :p

I'm half convinced the OP is going to march up to the counter and talk himself into needing a Bill of Sale as well.  :lol:

:( so not true.

Update:

We hit AAA today, got the trailer reg done, but on the bike they said "We cannot move any further forward without a bill of sale"  

So we decided to start staking out the seller's house, and we ran into mom and dad... 20 minutes later... signed bill of sale.  

Reg will be complete Monday.  Horrid that we had to go through the kids parents.... but that is how the cookie crumbles from time to time.

TLDR:

Check the title, if the title is not the same name as the seller, get a bill of sale before you leave or foist your money over, just makes life a little bit easier.

Edited by tc3driver