Sign in to follow this  

Strange VIN on my '03 CR250

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but i couldn't think of anywhere better.

Anyways, I have a 2003 Honda CR250r. I live in California so you would expect it to get a red sticker, but it has a green. And has gotten a green sticker every time for the past 6 years I've owned it. Looking at my VIN its what you would expect, except the 8th position is not a "3" or a "C". Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't all post-2002 2-strokes have a "3" or a "c" in the 8th spot?

My vin reads JH2 ME03 A 1 3 M _ _ _ _ _ _

Can anybody explain what that "A" in the 8th position means? Not that I'm at all complaining about getting a green sticker instead of a red, but it just seems weird to me. And yes, the VIN plate on the bike matches the VIN on the title. I ran the VIN through the check digit formula and it checked out as well. 

What's a red and a green sticker?

It's something California hippies came up with to reduce pollution and increase smugness.

• Like 5

Not sure what the A represents, but I'll check my 02 frame vin & report my findings back. It's possible you have an early 03 model that qualified as a 02 model & received the green sticker. looked for a used 03 in Dec. of that yr. with a green sticker since I heard of a few CR250 & CRF450 models had them. I've seen a couple on CL for sale thru the years so they do exist, but are very rare. In my case I bought an 02 & basically transferred all the 03 stuff over to have a green sticker bike. Lucky you...

"The 10th diget is the year"

Here's the break down

Character 1
The first character of the VIN tells us which region the motorcycle was manufactured in. For example a 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 indicates your motorcycle was made in North America while J, K, L, M, N, P, or R means it was made in Asia.

Character 2
The second character, when combined with the first character denotes which country the motorcycle was manufactured in. It’s not uncommon to find a BMW motorcycle made in Mexico or a Japanese ATV made in Canada.

Character 3
The third character is used by powersports manfacturers to identify the vehicle type. It could be a motorcycle, ATV or scooter. Not every manufacturer uses the same codes.

Characters 4 – 9
These characters are known as the Vehicle Descriptor Section. Characters 4 through 8 provide information about the model, engine size and body style options. Not every manufacturer uses the same codes. Character 9 is a check digit that is used to determine if the VIN is correct. It is calculated from the entire VIN through the use of a Weight Factor Table.

Characters 10 – 17
These characters are known as the Vehicle Identifier Section. The 10th character indicates the marketing model year of the vehicle, not to be confused with the year of production. For example a 2014 Honda CBR600RR most likely has a date of production in 2013 – it was produced for the 2014 marketing year. Characters 11 through 17 indicate the assembly facility, available options and the production number as it rolled off the assembly line.

• Like 2

What's a red and a green sticker?

In CA 02 was the last year for an mx bike you can ride all year round at a OHV park & received a green registration sticker from the dmv.

After 03 you received a red sticker that can only ride about 8 months out of the year. Usually Starts Oct. 1st thru May 31st depending on the park.

You can still ride a red sticker bike at a closed competition course all year round (MX track).

It's really a CA BS law...

• Like 1

Here's the break down

Character 1

The first character of the VIN tells us which region the motorcycle was manufactured in. For example a 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 indicates your motorcycle was made in North America while J, K, L, M, N, P, or R means it was made in Asia.

Character 2

The second character, when combined with the first character denotes which country the motorcycle was manufactured in. It’s not uncommon to find a BMW motorcycle made in Mexico or a Japanese ATV made in Canada.

Character 3

The third character is used by powersports manfacturers to identify the vehicle type. It could be a motorcycle, ATV or scooter. Not every manufacturer uses the same codes.

Characters 4 – 9

These characters are known as the Vehicle Descriptor Section. Characters 4 through 8 provide information about the model, engine size and body style options. Not every manufacturer uses the same codes. Character 9 is a check digit that is used to determine if the VIN is correct. It is calculated from the entire VIN through the use of a Weight Factor Table.

Characters 10 – 17

These characters are known as the Vehicle Identifier Section. The 10th character indicates the marketing model year of the vehicle, not to be confused with the year of production. For example a 2014 Honda CBR600RR most likely has a date of production in 2013 – it was produced for the 2014 marketing year. Characters 11 through 17 indicate the assembly facility, available options and the production number as it rolled off the assembly line.

Good info thanks for posting..

That is correct about the 10th digit being the year model of the bike. It's odd it didn't have a 3 on that slot instead it has an A. That's why I assumed it could be an early production bike & received the A which could be the letter for an 02 bike.

Awesome  :thumbsup:

So far this is my favorite answer! "Your bike may be a factory replica, but mine has "Awesome" in its VIN!"

Here's the break down

Character 1... (abbreviated to save space)

Good info! I actually found most of this before I posted the thread up, couldn't find anything on the 8th digit on these bikes. I just assumed they should all be a 3 or a C. My 10th digit is a 3, indicating model year 2003.

Good info thanks for posting..

That is correct about the 10th digit being the year model of the bike. It's odd it didn't have a 3 on that slot instead it has an A. That's why I assumed it could be an early production bike & received the A which could be the letter for an 02 bike.

My 10th digit is a 3, and would be a 2 for a 2002 bike. Its the 8th spot that has the A, which is what I'm questioning because I thought it was supposed to have a 3 or a C. My thinking is that the Red/Green sticker regulations state that any vehicle with a 3 or C in the 8th position will get a red sticker, so my bike SHOULD have one if its model year 2003. Early production is sounding like the most likely answer. Were they making '03s that early? If anyone has a 2002 or 2003 bike it'd be cool if you could share your VIN!

I know its not really a big deal, especially outside of California, but I'm more curious than anything. Whenever something like this comes up i start to wonder if I've got a unicorn or if was just a fluke. 

In CA 02 was the last year for an mx bike you can ride all year round at a OHV park & received a green registration sticker from the dmv.

After 03 you received a red sticker that can only ride about 8 months out of the year. Usually Starts Oct. 1st thru May 31st depending on the park.

You can still ride a red sticker bike at a closed competition course all year round (MX track).

It's really a CA BS law...

I bought my bike from arizona but originally came from chaparrals in california it was an 05' CR250 with a green sticker . I know nothing about that law just wondering based on what you are saying how mine got a green sticker. 

I bought my bike from arizona but originally came from chaparrals in california it was an 05' CR250 with a green sticker . I know nothing about that law just wondering based on what you are saying how mine got a green sticker.

IDK. Wish I had an answer as I had picked up one the (3) 07's owned in 2011 & came with a green sticker which I thought was odd & received a red one when I registered it. I think the dmv gets it mixed up, but eventually some one or the system get it right. Have heard that the CA dmv has an old system.

2003 for me and my vin is JH2ME03343M503740

02 frame here - 8th digit is a 3 & the 10th is a 2...