Ktm 200 no power after top end rebuild. Help please.

Hi guys as the title says I took my bike to the mechanic and he done a top end rebuild on it. He told me to take it easy on the bike for a full tank or so after that itl be sweet. So today I've done the full tank and it still runs like crap, feels like it has almost no powerband. Defiantly can't pop any wheelies on it now either :( bugger all power. Not coughing or spluttering, it runs smooth but just no strong hit of powerband like it had before the rebuild.

So I guess my question here is, is this normal? And if so how long do you normally take to run in a 2 stroke after a new top end? Thanks in advance for any advice!! ?

It's a public holiday weekend so I can't take the bike back to the mechanic for 4 days. And I was looking forward to riding this long weekend. So is this something I can just fix myself? Or should I wait and just go to the mechanic?

It's a public holiday weekend so I can't take the bike back to the mechanic for 4 days. And I was looking forward to riding this long weekend. So is this something I can just fix myself? Or should I wait and just go to the mechanic?

you can pull the pipe off and feel inside the exhaust port to see if it's stuck , i remove mine and clean them every 20 hrs. or so on my honda , easy to do but idk about the ktm . Sometimes if they have not been cleaned in a while if you push the rod that goes through the valves to one side the carbon buildup will make them stick . This should have been completely torn down and cleaned with new seals while the top end was serviced , some people do it some don't bother. 

• Like 3

I must admit that once on my year 2000 200EXC I did not get the push rod from the case into the slot in the PV rod when I installed the cylinder.    It behaved exactly like you describe.

If you paid to get it fixed, I would not ride it anymore or take it apart until you take it back to get fixed right.

• Like 3

this is easy, on the right side of your cylinder their is an inspection cover held on by 2 bolts remove it start the bike have a light handy, while looking in the hole rev the bike and watch for movement you should see some lines come together to make a continued line.

you might see the pv  arm that comes up from the lower case is not hooked to the receving upside down u of your upper lincage  if that's the case lift the cylinder and try again to locate it but clean I if it has not been done.

check utube or ktm talk, if your mec didn't clean the pv find a new guy

• Like 3