Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Colorado trail map and conditions tips

Hi everyone.  Thought I would share a quick couple of tips to find places to ride, maps for those places, and how to find out the conditions before you go.

StaytheTrail.org has a great guide on their site under the 'Where to Go' link.  Go here -> http://www.staythetrail.org/maps/index.php to see a great page for all the places to ride.  The interactive map plus list of riding areas is really great.  From this page you can get printable maps as well. 

Quick tip: If you use the expanded map view of a trail you can also print that off for a custom map view to take with you.

Here is a tip for how to find out the conditions of the trails you want to ride:

On the same Stay the Trail link from above you will see Forest Service contact info for each trail system.  This is so helpful.  Just call that number up and ask if that particular riding area is open and ready to ride.  For example, I called the number for Willow Creek earlier this week and they said they could get up in there about 5 miles before they hit a lot of snow so that tells me that within another week or two that Willow Creek will be ready to go.  I also called on a bunch of the riding areas between Boulder and Fort Collins and some of them are closed due to the floods.  This shows you how useful this tip is.  Best part was every single time I called someone answered the phone and was also able to answer all of my questions.  Yay!

More map tips:  You can buy maps online and at various stores around town but if you can stop by a forest service office they will give you one or more for free.  Sweet!!  Bonus:  If you ever come across rangers in the riding areas you can usually get a map from them as well.  I have some really sweet maps of Rampart from those super friendly guys up there.  Yay!

Tip on finding out what the trails are actually like:

Ever since the GoPros starting coming out there has been so much good riding footage posted on the web, specifically youtube.  You can almost always find great footage of any trail system.  Bonus tip: If you find someone that has uploaded footage of trail you like, chances are they have added footage of other trails they have ridden as well so don't forget to check out their other videos and also leave a positive comment thanking them for the video.  This will hopefully inspire them to keep adding more trails.  Yay!

I say yay alot.  haha

Anyway, I know there are a ton more awesome tips out there so feel free to add yours to this thread.  See you on the trail.

Ray James

ColoradoDirtRiders.org

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to type this out, but I thought most of us did this already! :D  (I actually learned about Stay The Trail in this very section of the forum)

Edited by RedRider31

Thanks for taking the time to type this out, but I thought most of us did this already! :D  (I actually learned about Stay The Trail in this very section of the forum)

Hi RedRider31, I come across a lot of new riders that do not do this or know any of it.  I did do a search on the forums and didn't see any posts like this which is why I assembled it.  That, and to have a place to refer newer riders to as well.  Feel free to add any extra data to is as well.  Thanks.

Ray James