Sign in to follow this  

ATF or ATF Type F in the tranny?

I am sure it has been answered, but why not just ATF and not the Type F? in two stroke tranny?

You can get by using Dex III if you absolutely have to. Do not use Dex VI. Type F has more friction modifiers in it and no synthetic compounds.

FYI, the 3.99/qt wally world type F is the same as Motorex Super shift @ $14.99/qt. I have seen it as high as $20 at cycle gear.

I have been using Type F since 1974 and has always done me right.

• Like 2

Thanks. Picked up Lucas ATF ... but not the f type ... will exchange it today. I have some Lucas 10w 40, will that do for now?

If it is Motorcycle specific for wet clutches. Personally I'm not a fan of Lucas. Amsoil yes.

But Type F is the catssass for 2 stroke trannys.

If it is Motorcycle specific for wet clutches. Personally I'm not a fan of Lucas. Amsoil yes.

But Type F is the catssass for 2 stroke trannys.

$25 at advanced auto parts got me almost a full season of oil changes.

I use fully synthetic ATF+4. because I have access to it.  I have run Type F and cant really feel the difference.  I wouldn't run anything but ATF in motorcycle transmission.  All my 2 strokes get it.  I use it my Honda CRF 4 strokes on the trans side.  I use 10W40 motorcycle oil on my Yamaha 4 stroke because it doesn't have split chamber for trans and engine. 

Because the atf breaks down alot faster and its thinner if that's all u have then that's all u have you would have to use it but 15-40 motor oil is good lube and weight its a good all around oil and you.will find that it works I've been putting that in my bikes for a long time and I have not had no issues with trannys in my two strokes pent four strike

I don't care what some chart says or what some engineer says I know what works I've been a mechanic long enough to know what works and what doesn't if u want to use atf in your tranny go ahead and blow it up

It's not mine

I don't use atf in my toys I love my toys

15-40 is not expensive

Use a known good brand

Because the atf breaks down alot faster and its thinner if that's all u have then that's all u have you would have to use it but 15-40 motor oil is good lube and weight its a good all around oil and you.will find that it works I've been putting that in my bikes for a long time and I have not had no issues with trannys in my two strokes pent four strike

Ummm, no.

Atf is made to spend thousands of miles in an auomatic car tranny. Im sure our little dirt bike trannys don't put it through more abuse in like 50 miles than the 50k it will be neglected in car. And 15-40 is fine, but won't last any longer than atf without breaking down, if anything it'll break down first.

• Like 2

I don't care what some chart says or what some engineer says I know what works I've been a mechanic long enough to know what works and what doesn't if u want to use atf in your tranny go ahead and blow it up

It's not mine

15-40 is not expensive

Use a known good brand

You say the most ridiculous things, i love it. It makes any oil discussion fun when you say "i don't care what some chart says or some engineer says"

• Like 3

Alrighty then mechanic. Im willing to bet every ATF user on this fourm has been running ATF F for a combined total of probably 250 years with minimal problems. Myself included. Its cheap, lasts long enough, and its effective as more expensive oils. It runs awesome in the woods for me.

• Like 2

It's not mine

15-40 is not expensive

Use a known good brand

Hahaha! You really are funny! :lol:

I have used ATF for years, averaging over 100 hours a year, and have never had transmission or clutch problems on any two stroke I have owned! While motor oil is fine, I prefer how my bike shifts with ATF much better. Plus, it keeps the inside of the cases really clean! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

So, this makes me think. That KTM, that recommends ATF Super in their 2T trannys, is dead wrong??? Hmmmm.

Also that some "Mechanic" that may have a piece of paper that says, I took a 50 question test from the Society of Automotive Engineers, that had to score at least 70% to pass, is smarter than some "Sheldon Cooper" in the oil business.

LOL.

Besides, 90% of these bikes are used for "RACING" or abusive riding. So that means constant maintenance.

I change trans fluid in my sons bike after every race, suspension fluid every 3 races, etc etc.

I understand where every body is comming from but out here in az the heat out here destroys transmission and that's all their is too it if the tranny can't keep cool it will fail I see a lot of trannys that break I know cause I use to work in a tranny shop at least a couple of them so I do know