Sign in to follow this  

First bike suggestion? (250exc BIGBORE VS 350exc)

Hey guyse and gals, i'm sorry for asking what's probably the most cliche question...but i was hoping you could advise me with the purchase of my first bike. Searched around for a bit on this sub and haven't found a relevant answer to my dilemma.

A bit about myself. Finally decided to get into the sport of enduro riding and looking to venture out in the forest, do some trails, maybe a few amateur competitions in the future. I'm 5'11 (1.80m) and around 170lbs (77kg) and decently athletic since i'm in love with sports. Had a sportbike for 7 years which i raced a bit at a very amateur level and i did try some KTM's a few times. I test rode 2smokes (300sx and a 200sx...i think) and all the EXC-F models (125/250/350/450 and the 530 at that time). But i must confess, i'm entirely unfamiliar with the enduro world despite all the research i made, the possibilities and choices still seem daunting.

Right now i'm trying to decide between 2 models (although i'm open to other suggestions if you guys recommend them). I found a 250EXC-F from 2010 that has been race prepped. It has a bigbore kit that takes it up to 285cc's and a full Akra exhaust. Also i understood it has a different ECU and some other tweaks and it's in fairly good shape. Another choice would be a 350EXC-F with no unusual mods, just a few standard accessories and it's from the same year, 2010. Maybe i could score a 2011.

Now, i'm leaning a bit towards the 285EXC because i feel it might be a bit more maneuverable. Discussing with various enduro enthusiasts, they all seem to agree that the 250exc in it's standard version lacks the "umph" required to keep up with the bigger bikes. But with the bigbore kit and akra, the extra power might just do the trick.

I remeber i absolutely hated the 2T's (although most people have told me i simply wasn't ready for them) and the bigger bikes (450 & 530) left me feeling like they were the ones in control. I actually managed to do some very limited skidding turns with the 250exc-f. The 125exc-f felt under-powered even for a newbie like me.

Kinda' locked down with the KTM brand due to availability in my country. It's the most prevalent brand here and 90% of the riders sport this brand of bikes.

Here's hoping you can shed some light. Cheers.

Edited by pretzeL1945

The difference is negligible. Probably the most important deciding factor is what class will you be racing in and bike condition? Both the 285 and 350 probably race in the same class so maybe a 250 would be better.

I don't know what "race prepped" means, but if it has been raced, it probably has been abused. I really don't think you could go wrong with the 350 unless it puts you in a class you don't want to race in. The little extra grunt and power will be more forgiving to a beginner.

• Like 1

Thx for chiming in Basalt. I will actually go tomorrow and check the 285 thoroughly and try to get a proper list of mods. What i'm sure now is that it has a full Titanium Akra Exhaust, different ECU, gears have been changed a bit and an assortment of minor mods like different seat, handguards etc.

Haha, not any time soon. But i'm aiming for that. Just to compete and finish at the amateur level would be great.

The 350 , hands down . Super machine. Unless the engine mods were done by a verifiable, competant mechanic , i wouldnt touch it . If a bike is stock, you can pretty much have an idea what you are getting , when it is used and someone has been tinkering around inside the engine, you have no idea of what you are getting. Buying used bikes is always a gamble , but you can even the odds with a little research , alot of questions , and staying away from bikes that have bigtime mods such as big bore kits. good luck

• Like 1

Yeah, as ohiocoalminer said...If you have the option, avoid any "worked" engines. The fact that it's "race prepped" doesn't mean that it's any better than the 350, only that it was tailored for a specific rider, and his riding style might not match yours. It's better to start with a semi-stock bike (i.e. bolt on mods that don't affect reliability).

You'll enjoy both, but might end up spending more on the 250 when it comes time to fix it...