Sign in to follow this  

First time buying used......

I'm going to check out a few used TRX90's this weekend and am wondering what things I should be looking at to try and determine if its in good shape. I have always bought new in the past so any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Maintenance records would be nice.look for obvius signs of damage.Bent bars,axles,worn out tires= high miles.

Bars and tires will not necessarily paint a good picture as bolt on items are changed out often from bike to bike. Things to really look for are cracks in the cases ( crawl under the bike and inspect the cases for prior repairs - jb weld or cracks) check for ease of start, idle, and then Let it worm up and then Recheck for oil leaks. Check for slipping clutch while test ride and run the bike through all the gears. If you do all above and no issues then the bike is mech sound. Never judge a bike by the bolt-ons ( tires, levers, plastics, exhaust, bars, etc) those are bolt ons and mean nothing in the long run. Hope that helps, good luck

Edited by KDXRon

Rock the bike back and forth. Literally grab the handle bars and shake it left to right several times, keeping an eye on all chassis components. Specifically look at where the axle and swingarm meet (bearing carrier), and where the swingarm meets the frame. Push down on the front end keeping an eye on the a-arms and tie rods as well.

As for the motor, test it out. Don't just ride it through the gears and call it a day, ride it like you would if you had already owned it. Don't beat on it, that usually doesn't blow over nicely with current owners, but actually ride the quad. See how it performs under load, at high rpms, at low rpms, etc.