Sign in to follow this  

what radiator braces to buy for my WR

I just purchased a brand new 2012 WR250F and want to install some side protection for the radiators before I hit the trail. I have searched and read some post here on TT but never got a clear idea which works best for side protection. Thanks for any replies.

I had gtyr ones, they are soft and twist alot, I ended up with leak because Iof straigthening them every time I had to refit my tank. Current bike I have force accessories ones from australia, much better grade ally with better / stronger shape, better forward protection dont have to remove rads or fluids to fit them and dont need to cut any plastics, still manage to bend them a bit but thats just the way I throw my bike at things

Edited by longerdeeper

Some people complain that the unabiker restricts airflow.  Last year I did an endure.  It was in the upper 90's and humid.  I was exhausted during a 15 mile loop and rode extremely slow.  The bike was great and never overheated with the Unabiker guards.

I added some Moose rad guards to my 2012 WR250F. I ride mostly woods and tight trails. I've had no overheating issues and the bike is very sturdy around the guards now, Especially from side impacts, drops, etc. I bought mine off of Ebay for about 95 bucks. PIcs of my guards on in the following TT post:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/971573-what-did-you-do-to-your-250f-today/page-11#entry11030699

Regards,

BillD

Edited by debargew

So a bit off topic, but does anybody have trouble with over heating in a late model WR? I am up to 500+ hours over 2 08 wr259fx and have never had one boil up. I have always taken the reserve tank off as soon as I have got them, along with lights and all unnecessary guards, Always put a pipe on and use JD jetting kits, hot cams stage 1 intake and stage 2 exhaust current bike has a yz higher compression piston, so can't argue that I am not getting full power out of them. Temp here ranges from 0-30 deg C sometimes fast and open, but more often 1st and second gear trails, bogs and hills. So do oeople on WR 's have trouble with overheating, or is it scare tacktics by ktm and yz owners? Back on topic the force braces I have look to be a bit more restrictive from the front but there is a big gap between the brace and the front of the rad that there is plenty of air there and I collect alot less leaves pine needles and grass against the front if my rads than I used to with the gtyr braces and std plastic louvres

Edited by longerdeeper

Check out Unabiker. Great quality with front and side protection for the price of one....and you can order them anodized for a bit more.

Some people complain that the unabiker restricts airflow. Last year I did an endure. It was in the upper 90's and humid. I was exhausted during a 15 mile loop and rode extremely slow. The bike was great and never overheated with the Unabiker guards.

Just installed a set. The only thing I don't like about them are the chinsey bolts with the nylock nut to hold the braces to the upper and lower radiator tabs. I'm going to get some fender clip nuts and go back to using the OEM bolts. Also the brace on the right side will rub against the radiator hose. I had to zip tie mine out of the way a good bit so the guard wouldn't cut into it.

All in all I am really happy with them though. You can't beat them for only $100.00.

. Also the brace on the right side will rub against the radiator hose. I had to zip tie mine out of the way a good bit so the guard wouldn't cut into it.

I had those fancy colored silicone radiator hoses on my DRZ400.  I tied them out of the way and after a little bit of riding their shape remolded to how I had tied them.  I don't know if that works for the stock hoses.  I suppose you'll find out.

• Like 1

Now that it us mentioned I remember a hose rubbing the back of the force accessory brace, I split a spare piece of hose and wrapped around the standard hose. held in place with some cable ties, just like I have done with the hose that comes out of the water pump.

Edited by longerdeeper

I had those fancy colored silicone radiator hoses on my DRZ400. I tied them out of the way and after a little bit of riding their shape remolded to how I had tied them. I don't know if that works for the stock hoses. I suppose you'll find out.

Good info. I'll see what happens after a couple rides.