Sign in to follow this  

82 XR500 with Frozen Rings, what are my options?

I have found a 82 XR500 that ran good, sat for e few years in a garage, and now the rings are frozen up (according to the present owners Honda mechanic).  I've heard stories of poring diesel or other lubes/cleaners into the spark plug hole, letting it sit for a few days, and getting the rings and piston freed up/  Could this possibly work or am I looking at an overhaul?  

Thanks for any help.

Im not too sure. Iv heard of the diesel trick but never successful. Prolly looking at a good ol overhaul my friend

Anyone try unsticking rings with Kroil?  I've heard good things about it.

I've used a 50/50 mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone with good results, Marvel Mystery oil works pretty good too. The 50/50 mix is great for anything rusted together. Let it sit in the cylinder for a few days

That's 1 clean bike ?, looks like straight off the showroom floor....take her outside and get her dirty :).

MICKEY MOUSE ALERT

You could use Techron to loosen the carbon but then you would have a bunch of abrasive particles floating around ready to wear out your engine.  

It's best to take it apart and measure the clearances anyway.

So I bought the bike,

I sprayed a bunch of Kriol in the spark plug hole and willicon1.png let it sit for a few days and see how it goes.  The carb is also frozen up, it's not the cables it's the carb.  I removed the black cap from the top of the carb and sprayed some Kriol in there and will see how that goes too.  I'm into this bike $100 so the plan is to see if I can get the piston moving, with the spark plug out, kick it over to remove all the Kriol and maybe do this with some oil several time to help remove crap that may be in there.  If it runs, great, if not then I'll do the big tear down.  So is my plan crazy or am I ok to proceed?

Thanks,

I say do it, you could even spray 'Subaru upper cylinder cleaner' in there if they are carbon seized. Best case, it loosens up & has not damaged the bore. Worse case, it doesn't work & you have to strip the top end for a rebuild. Personally, I would strip it down if I was going o hang on to the bike for a while, always fun to see if the dodgy option works first tho :)