Sign in to follow this  

500 AF--Honda aluminum frame generations

I'm buying a CR 500 AF from Cali, it's a 2000 model bike. 

My only reservation (even though I've given him a deposit already) is that it's it's a 15 year old frame.  What changes were made to the aluminum frames since 2000?  Were they significant enough to warrant spending $4000 more for a newer model??

It depend on your skill level really. The newer bikes handle better. I rode A class and won a lot of races on a 2000. I'm positive the thing that held me back was the rider not the bike. Put a pro on it and it would go much faster. Many people say the new bike is better but they don't know how to ride good enough to go faster and utilize the improvements. I know this personally because I can go "slow" on any bike. I don't need the best bike to still suck in comparison to pros. I have much nicer bikes now and speed is basically the same!

You want to check the frame over really good for cracks, 500's vibe the crap out of AF's. Check the head stay, motor mounts and see if the FW will wiggle which means you have bad crank bearings.

• Like 1

It depend on your skill level really. The newer bikes handle better. I rode A class and won a lot of races on a 2000. I'm positive the thing that held me back was the rider not the bike. Put a pro on it and it would go much faster. Many people say the new bike is better but they don't know how to ride good enough to go faster and utilize the improvements. I know this personally because I can go "slow" on any bike. I don't need the best bike to still suck in comparison to pros. I have much nicer bikes now and speed is basically the same!

You want to check the frame over really good for cracks, 500's vibe the crap out of AF's. Check the head stay, motor mounts and see if the FW will wiggle which means you have bad crank bearings.

My skill is a solid A rider, but nowhere near the AA class. In Cali I rode a CR 500 and could ride a good intermediate pace.. for about 10 minutes! It would have ride 95% to keep that pace, which means I wasn't really ready for that class.

Fast forward 8 years, came back to TX and I'm an open A rider in the enduro circuits. I know the 500 very well, and it'll be like reliving my times in Cali.

The owner just bought the bike and restored it, it hadn't been ridden hard but it was neglected. He crashed racing his other bike after owning this 500 for only 6 months, and now he decided to sell. Since I won't be competing on this 500, I'm not worried about the chassis holding me back. It'll be setup for motocross, dunes and sand.