Sign in to follow this  

Peening a camchain?

Whats the best way to peen a camchain?

Any advice would be appreciated

Also i hav a crack inthe left crankcase, probly the weekest part, the flap thatcovers the camchain

image.jpg

Wth is peen a cam chain? And what's up with this dark pic. What's this crack lookin like?

Probably has bought a cut-to-length chain, and needs to peen over the pin to capture the outer link, just like a "riveted" drive chain master link, which should really be called "peened".

Most cam chains are already assembled without a master link, and can be remove/installed without "undoing" any of the links.

Edited by Eddie8v

Yea bought the chain where u hav 2 put the pin through an i have to squash each side of the pin (peen) so it don't come out,which i didn't need as i was removing the flywheel.

But the crack like i said is along the bit that covers the camchain on the crankcase just below the barrel, nxt to the cover bolt, it continues on the inside where the camchain runs they had some hypoxy cement there i chipped away an discovered it. These cases are in bad shape i found after splitting them. The previous owner must have rebuilt it an they were rough theres a spot on the crank face where the try'd to pry the two cases apart.

Sorry about the bad photos

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Shauno450

I've never seen one of those cam chains BUT I do know that oem chains are best. That's somethin I wouldn't short cut. That's thing pops annndddd while rebuild is upon you that fast.