Sign in to follow this  

Mini bike will not steer. Unstable front end.

I have a new 125cc SSR miniicon1.png pit bike, with inverted forks.  The wheels are 14 inch front, 12 inch rear,. My problem is, it will not steer in sand at all, it just sucks the front wheel under and down ya go. it also is unstable on other terrain, by constantly over steering, and correcting steering, it wants to go where it wants, which leads me into hitting TREES.   Its not the rider, I have much experience, its my front end I think   First it was the brake dragging on disk, which came BENT, I just fixed that..  then it was too loose of a crown nut,  TIRE Air pressure was tested at all different poundages, it is now set at 16 front 15 rear. What could be wrong that I am missing?   wheels too small? ( I am trying to buy 17 inch front wheel)   I also changed fork oil, and replaced with good 20 weight fork oil, at 220cc per leg.   I even turned up the preload on front spring.  Could it  be the style of front tire?  it is Chinese copy of M51.  Could it be the rear spring is too tight, (less sag) or too loose (too much sag)?  It was bottoming, so I turned it in tighter and reduced preload sag.    HELP... I am puzzled. 

Gary

Those mini bikes were never designed with handling being a priority. SSR copied Honda, which were meant for a kid going at a slow pace in favorable dry conditions. 16psi is way too much in sand, and small wheels don't help either.

Thanks I was Running 11 pound's front before it sucked then. Any other ideas?

Sorry but regular dirt bike procedures must be modified for to Pitbikes 

Unless you like flat tires we run 20 PSI MIN 

try dropping the rear some to help take some weigh  the front 

loosen the rear shock spring 

• Like 1

UPDATE: bad steering

Bought a new front tire for sand and mud.   Rotated to the rear my handle bars to move my weight back off the front wheel, put recommended 20 psi in all tires.  since I blew out cheap rear shock, I got a new better one, with a longer travel and changed the top mount to keep same geometry of the bike, and then modified the front end to have 7.75 inches of total travel, and over tightened the fork crown nut to add steering resistance which prevents front wheel from following every little bump or groove.  It works much better, but since I still have the 14 inch front wheel... this is best that can be done for it.

And to the guy that said, mini pit bikes are for slow riders, never has seen these little racer guys flying around a track on a mini bike, making Villopoto look slow.  ha ha