Sign in to follow this  

Need help or a link on jetting

I apologize in advance because I know this topic is continuously beat up but after hours of searching I cannot find anything that relates to my specific set up.  I need some jetting help so if you know of a link where this is send it my way please. 

I'm running lean with short dead spots at around 1/2 throttle. I do not want to buy an entire jet kit or new fuel screw at the moment (wife found the exhaust receipt.....enough said) I have not touched the fuel screw from the stock setting. Would anyone have recommendations to try first? I done know whether or not to bump up my main jet, add another shim to the needle, or tinker with the fuel screw so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The recommended settings that came with the exhaust are 3x3 mod, 145 main, 25 pilot, shim the needle with supplied shim, it said nothing about the fuel screw.

Set up:

2014 DRZ400SM

Yosh rs-2 exhaust full

152.5 main

25 pilot

shim on the factory carb needle (Came with exhaust)

3x3

K&N filter

1200 ft elevation

I'm far from an expert but based on what I've read, being that you currently have the wrong (or less right) needle in there, no amount of fuel screw adjustment is going to help. I would say replace the main jet

Unfortunately without a jet kit you aren't going to get rid of the flat spots. You need the multi-taper needle that provides the correct fuel curve to cure the flat spots, those are only available in a jet kit.

• Like 2

Note...This is not entirely true, just an angle to work on with the wife..... :devil:

Perhaps tell her if you don't buy and install the jet kit you could possibly do serious harm to the engine and to repair that will cost a bucket load more than a jet kit....  ;)

Unfortunately jet kit needles can not be purchased separately and this is what's causing your issue at mid throttle

I recommend the  JD Jetting Jet Kit - DR-Z400S/SM and the ThumperTalk DRZ400S/SM Extended Fuel Mixture Screw

Don't get a Dynojet stage 1 kit or generic equivalent , as they are meant for a stock intake opening

• Like 2