Sign in to follow this  

16 never had dual sport. Whats best?

Last year I got a 2 stroke and im just not able to go up north enough to just want to have a bike thats only dirt. At the I also dont use its full potential so its not even worth having a high pref. bike. Ive been looking around for a dual sport and I really like the drz400sm and the wr250r but I just can't decide on any bike thats out. I just want to know what bike is going to be great at highway speeds and great for trails the times I go. Thanks for your thoughts and replies.

Both those bikes are the Japanese 'top of the heap'. The WR250R being the best lightweight with the Honda CRF250L close behind. The DR-Z is heavy and not very dirt worthy but bulletproof. On the upper end of the weight/touring ability is the DR650.

Expensive exotics like the KTM 350 EXC-F and 690 Adventure eclipse all of them.

Thank you for your input...im mostly on streets and some highway but when I go up north im hitting some pretty rough trails so my question right now is if I put some nobodies on the drz whether or not it will be trail worthy

The DRZ is capable off road. It's just heavy.

It's not that great on the highway, as it doesn't have a windscreen. And the vibrations get to me after droning along on the highway for 3-4 hours.

You can buy the drz sm as you're mostly on road. Then grab a set of used wheels for a drz S as they are always available CHEAP for when you plan to venture off road. As said they're heavy. But they're bomb proof, dirt cheap to maintain and I really enjoyed having mine.

The wr is a great bike as well.

Edited by D4N63R

Right. I shouldn't have said 'not dirt worthy' because they are durable and can get around OK. What I meant is that they are heavy.

Cool thanks for all the replies that was all quite 're assuring... what are some ways you can better the response cook in?

Also how would a wr450f work cause there is one for sale for a good price

WR450 is great in the dirt, not so much on the street, in my opinion.

Mike