Sign in to follow this  

Looking for Input on Beginner Bike for Adult

Greetings,

I am moving into a new home soon on a 9 acre wooded lot in the country.  I am 37, 5'11" 185lbs.  As a really little tike I had a YZ50, but from there we always had quads.  The most fun and sporty one was a Suzuki Quadrunner 230, which had the cluthless shifting.  I have ridden a dirt bike just a few times and really just barely got the thing going.

I have always been interested in dirt bikes and quads, but until now I either didn't have the means or the place to have one.

So I would like to get a bike to learn on and just bop around my property over the rolling ridges and through some trails I can make.  I am not looking to race or do crazy jumping.  My thought was to get a small 4 stroke so I can learn on something appropriate for the setting that requires fairly low maintenance.  I have younger kids I want to get into the sport.  It will be some time, but if whatever I get sticks around I am sure they could use it when they are big enough.

There is a guy selling a 2003 Suzuki DRZ 125 asking $850.  I have also seen quite a few Yamaha TTR 125s for around $1K.  Any thoughts on one vs the other for my situation?  Budget is a big factor right now.  Lots of moving costs so I really gotta keep it $1K or less.  Even so the wife is going to fight me on this toy :) 

Thanks!

Sounds like a good bike to learn on and pass down to others soon, it's little and easy to control for small people- you'll be pretty cramped on it. Hopefully it's not too beat up for $850, that's a fair price.

A terrific regular adult beginner bike is the Honda CRF230, maybe a good second purchase. Quite a bit more expensive but a very good bike you can ride for decades on with little maintenance. Very tractorlike and friendly but adult sized.

Is the 230 too much to learn on though? I did see one for $1500 on CL which seemed like a good price and I could probably squeeze out that much.

What about the CRF 150? Is it any bigger than the TTR 125?

crf230 will fit your physical size better then a crf150 or ttr125, After a while at 5'11 you will start feeling cramped up. Id agree with a crf230 or ttr230