Sign in to follow this  

Best supermoto/street tires

Apologies if this is a repeat of another string that I've missed. I was doing a search for supermoto tires on this forum and didn't come up with a meaty conversation so I'm starting one. 

I just got my '04 DRZ-S from a friend in April. Very excited and I had great fun riding the SheetIron 300 a few weeks ago. Even better, it came with a set of Excel 17" rims, woo! There is a pair of Contis on there now (120/70 front, 160/60 rear) but the rear rubber is pretty flat in the center and I am feverishly comparing replacement options.

The preference is to switch out both tires at once but the front is fine and I need to be budget-minded so I am only looking for only a rear right now. Based on what I've read/heard I'll probably switch to a 150/60.  My main question is which tire to get. As for use I will probably do 70% commuting in San Francisco (or touring within 200 miles) and 30% twisties. I'll be riding in dry and wet weather for the daily grind but pretty much only dry for canyoning. I'm looking for Durability but also some sticky fun. A trusted shop manager is pointing me in the direction of the Pilot Road 4. They aren't cheap but reports are that their long lifespan will more than make up for that. Since they are a dual compound tire I'm guessing the cornering grip will be pretty good but likely not as good as the Conti and probably considerably heavier (though I'm not sure I'll notice the weight as much as I'll notice the turn-in diff with the 150 vs 160).  I'm open to other suggestions too. Thanks!

• Like 1

search again, covered millions of times..maybe erase supermoto..just search tires or something, but in the drz section

but since im here, i recently got close to 8000 on a pilot road 4...

i use pilot power 3 front 120/70

pilot road 4 rear 150/70

get a pilot road 4 online from rocky mountain atv for 155$

best tire combo i found after fooling with over 15 diff treads over 50,000miles i put on my bike

new vs close to 8k miles

CAM00158_zpsd1285687.jpeg

Edited by 707LAKE
  • Like 1

I currently have Heidenau K73's on my SM, came with the bike when I bought it. I like them, they are maybe 80/20 on/off road. Works well on asphalt and on dirt roads. 120/70 and 160/60 on 17" excel rims.

McmtKOP.jpg

• Like 1

I currently have Heidenau K73's on my SM, came with the bike when I bought it. I like them, they are maybe 80/20 on/off road. Works well on asphalt and on dirt roads. 120/70 and 160/60 on 17" excel rims.

McmtKOP.jpg

What mirrors are those?  and is there a slot cut out from your headlight shroud?

Nice bike btw. 

What mirrors are those?  and is there a slot cut out from your headlight shroud?

Nice bike btw. 

This is how the bike came when I bought it, I have only added a few things myself (case savers, aluminum skid plate). The mirrors are made by a company called Magazi. I believe the specific model of mirror is the Viper.

http://store.kiwav.com/en/mirrors/magazi-viper-black-universal-motorcycle-mirrors-detail You should be able to find them elsewhere if you want them.

As for the shroud, there is a slot, but not just cut into it, its molded into it, I guess to help with directing the air. Here is a closer picture of it, the bike came with an Acerbis cyclops headlight when I bought it, and this shroud. But the shroud looks different than the other cyclops shrouds I have seen online. Not sure who makes it. I'll go outside and see if there are any manufacturer marks on it.

RP3PVib.jpg

7s9ht6G.jpg

Edit: Not sure who makes the shroud, I found a post on SMJ with a guy who has the same shroud, different headlights. http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?13447-lets-see-your-drz-pic-s-along-withlist-of-mods!&p=930506#post930506

Edited by atarijedi
  • Like 1

LOVING my Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's.  Warm up quick, excellent grip, definitely have increased my confidence level while riding.  Also pretty well priced!   :thumbsup:

12552503234_9bae10a3e3_c.jpg

12552262414_8789b247f7_c.jpg

• Like 1

McmtKOP.jpg

The tires remind me of a Wet Tire for Road Racing

That disc lock will only stop an honest thief

That disc lock will only stop an honest thief

Yeah, the lock isn't too special, although you need a long set of bolt cutters to get through it, short sets don't have the leverage, I know from experience. I also have a chain I put around it and it goes to a U-bolt in concrete. My main security is "out of sight, out of mind" though. Hopefully the neighbours aren't thieves!

Im running pilot power front and rear although I just burned through the rear and now have conti attack sm

I ride mostly track and this seems to be a really good combo.

LOVING my Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's. Warm up quick, excellent grip, definitely have increased my confidence level while riding. Also pretty well priced! :thumbsup:

12552503234_9bae10a3e3_c.jpg

12552262414_8789b247f7_c.jpg

Nice looking bike man! Miss my KLX so much.

Nice looking bike man! Miss my KLX so much.

Thank you!

While obviously it's just a green DRZ, its fun to own.  People often come to me or comment about how I have a street legal Kawasaki super moto bike.  100% of the time they are surprised to realize its a DRZ with a different color scheme.  It's an odd duck, you almost never see them.  The only time I've seen another one was when I went to the recent races at Infineon.  In fact the cute little hottie at the Suzuki booth trying to sell me a 2014DRZSM had never heard of it.  Naturally I had to ride it over to the booth and show it off to her...haha.

And not to mention the Green DRZs are much much faster.   :smirk:

Edited by jreed1337
  • Like 2

I read through your previous tire thread, JReed. Indeed, a lot of great info. So you went with the Diablo Rosso's, eh? Cool. I checked those out and they got very good reviews (like 50 mostly 4&5-star reviews on Motorcycle Superstore). What sizes did you get?

I ended up going with the Pilot Road 4 150/70 because reports are that they're sticky enough and have a hella long life.

707Lake, just as you said, $155 at Rocky Mtn ATV. Free shipping. That's about $20 less than from Motorcycle Superstore.

I read through your previous tire thread, JReed. Indeed, a lot of great info. So you went with the Diablo Rosso's, eh? Cool. I checked those out and they got very good reviews (like 50 mostly 4&5-star reviews on Motorcycle Superstore). What sizes did you get?

i ended up just going stock SM sizes to avoid and rubbing or fitment issues.  120/70/17 & 140/70/17.   :thumbsup:

I've run Pilot Power 2CT's on my DRZ, seem to be working out pretty well but I had to get a new rear after 2,000-ish miles.  They grip well but wear quickly.  Depends what you do with your bike and what you want to get out of the tires.  More miles vs. more play.

I love the Conti Attack SM's on my Husky. Short tread life, but they are absolute monsters for grip on the street.

I've had good luck with Pilot Powers on my DRZ SM