Sign in to follow this  

79 xl 500

I have the opportunity to purchase a 79 xl 500 in great shape for $1400, plastics and paint are faded but mechanically sound, i don't know much about these bikes im just wondering if it has the same reliability as all of honda's single cylinder air cooled 4 strokes and if the price is reasonable.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-motocross/saint-john/off-road-dream-bike-vintage-show-bike/600016355

Judging by those pictures, and the fact that he said "all original and tore down for off-road" I can tell you that bike isn't worth even $1000. That same bike in good useable shape and all complete is worth maybe $1000... It is missing everything it needs to be street legal and doesn't even have a title. If you really want a bike and don't care about riding it in the street, your money is better spent on a nice XR that will have a slight bit more power and exceptional gearing for real "off-road" I'm not trying to be a jerk but I don't want to see you get snuffed by some redneck with a clapped out XL just cause he says it's awesome and worth the money.