Sign in to follow this  

Night riding @ rampart?

Anyone interested and/or set up for trail riding @ night. It's an absolute blast! And since it's nighttime we don't have to worry to much about how crazy rampart gets. Gonna head up tonight but do plan on making many more night trips. I'm flexible on dates & times. Although a stock light setup will work, to really enjoy it LEDs work the best. Helmet lights are a bonus as well. Plan on riding from about 7-8pm til 11pm & later.

I'm on a 13' KTM 300 XC. I've converted the stator & am running a baja designs squadron headlight & trail tech equionox dual LEDs on my helmet. I should have mentioned I'll be hitting mostly single track so looking for dirt bike riders. Bet the setup you've got on your raptor would be fun on some of the dual track roads in rampart.

I'm on a 13' KTM 300 XC. I've converted the stator & am running a baja designs squadron headlight & trail tech equionox dual LEDs on my helmet. I should have mentioned I'll be hitting mostly single track so looking for dirt bike riders. Bet the setup you've got on your raptor would be fun on some of the dual track roads in rampart.

Do you have a pic of that setup? I'm currently pondering how I am going to set my 14' XCW up ... I need to get the Trailtech stator and DC conversion kit, but I'm still on the fence about lighting. I'm sort of thinking about just keeping the stock headlight then adding a Baja Designs 4 light bar on top of the handlebars or something.

I have a really good setup for that. I had it at the poker run yesterday on my cr250.  You might have seen me if you were there. PM me for more info and pictures

Edited by powermonger525

Would you want people night riding where you go camping? What if you get hurt? What if you get lost?

I'm not saying it's not fun but there's a number of reasons not to go night riding especially alone and where hundreds of people could be camping on any given summer night.

Would you want people night riding where you go camping? What if you get hurt? What if you get lost?

I'm not saying it's not fun but there's a number of reasons not to go night riding especially alone and where hundreds of people could be camping on any given summer night.

*shrug*

I grew up riding snowmobiles at night, dirt bikes are kind of the same thing. There is a risk involved, but if you don't go bat shit crazy its really not that big of deal. I don't think the campers mind at all.

And you call yourself a dirt biker?

Dirt biking is about being adventurous, not listening to what your grandma tells you.  I posted here so I don't have to ride alone.  As a matter of fact, Id say rampart is safer at night time since you don't have to worry about head on collisions, probably the main concern on most peoples minds.  Ive camped at rampart many times & i expect to hear dirt bikes at any hour. Its a totally different story if some drunk redneck is riding his texas wheel chair up and down the road past the same campsite numerous times, if that happens all bets are off.  Don't camp in an OHV area if thats a concern for you.  At any rate I plan on parking at noodle and riding the single track so i doubt ill be bugging many people.

Captain dogmeat,  i'll post some pics of my setup tomorrow.  If you do go the baja designs squadron setup, they'll send you a small do-it yourself kit to convert your current stator.  Ive done this my self & if you know how to use a soldering iron you'll save your self the cost of needing the trail tech stator.  Feel free to bring your bike by & I could help you out with the conversion.  This stator mod will give you approx. 90 watts.

You think riding Rampart at night is safer!? HAHAHA what a joke!! You want me to list the reasons why it's more dangerous at night?

You putting your guard down against head-on collisions at night would be just another item on that list. Ask anyone who knows a lick about riding safety...the second you put your guard down like that is when you mail in your RSVP to the nearest ER.

Would you believe me if I told you I've seen dudes riding the trails in the middle of the night without a headlight? You think I saw them coming from even 25 feet away?

Now that school is out I expect you can heard gunfire and loud music on any given night of the week up there as is typical any given summer. Drunk teenagers don't exactly check for backstops or if they're shooting across trails...

I didn't say "don't do that". You guys go right ahead. But just know that you might piss off some family men and you might run across more dangerous situations than day riding. That's all I was getting at. So more power to ya, bros.

I can see aspects of both sides of the arguement.

I've ridden Rampart at night, and I do think its a hoot. Along the same lines as turning around and riding the trail you've just ridden, in the opposite direction, totally different. Then again at night, whole different experience. You have to ride with your senses in a higher state of awareness, with reflexes to match.

It's not less dangerous than riding during the day with the day crowd. Its just "different" dangerous, and comes with its own unique set of challenges, should something go awry, such as breakdowns, injury and such, and requires being prepared to deal with them.

Day riding, I carry at least basic tools, plug, quicksteel, etc.. Night riding, you should add carrying a headlamp and spare headlight bulb at the very least.

As far as getting lost, Rampart is signed pretty well. If you can get around in the day with a map, you can get around at night with a map.

I agree with Tj, its an OHV area, if you want peace and quiet, you came to the wrong place. The primary activity is trail riding motorized vehicles, day and/or night., not camping. I accept, when I go there, that it isn't your normal RV park, city, state or federal campground with the typical ordinances you'd find in those.

Riding dirtbikes/OHVs is dangerous, period. Day or night. If you choose to ride, then you choose all the possiblities that could come from it. Everyone deals with the "what ifs" and risks in their own way, whether responsibly or not so much.

• Like 1

Love riding at night.  That's when the bears and owls and skunks and porcupines and foxes come out. :ph34r:

Makes for good pictures too.

DSC_5265_-L.jpg

DSC_5270_-L.jpg

DSC_5408huge-L.jpg

Moonrise over Castle Rock

DSC00533big-L.jpg

DSC_4352big-L.jpg

• Like 1

Try riding in dunes as well....there is no "downtime" like at Rampart. Bikes are always running at all hours. I have camped at Rampart for over 20 years. The night riding crowd is very very minimal. It wouldn't bug me none. Only my .02 mind you...

Night rides are a good time. as already stated, you still have to be on your game, and anticipate the challenges. I usually can't get anyone to go with me on night rides because I want to do things like Western Rim trail, etc in the dark. I typically prefer to steer clear of the areas that are prone to be occupied by the "hold my beer while I shoot this" crowd.

Runs about $250. The setup I went with doesn't come with batteries, it just runs straight to the battery on my bike. I prefer this setup because I don't want to think about my lights runnin outta juice. Also, I've run the power wire out from the back of the seat so it doesn't get tangled or in my way. I've been really happy with both lighting systems so far

Well taken photos snowmule, especially the owl on motion. Were those taken with a special cam or just an phone?

Well taken photos snowmule, especially the owl on motion. Were those taken with a special cam or just an phone?

>phone

:lol:

Nikon DSLR.

Moon was shot with my old P&S.