Sign in to follow this  

Let's here your opinion ?

Hey...i am pretty new to the site here and really like it....i have picked up some tips and tricks already. I have been riding for a few years now and just sold my XR 200...it was an awesome trail bike, but i wanted something bigger and a little faster. So i picked up this 02 YZ 250F for $1600 bucks.Feels twice as big as the XR .I took it out for the first time a couple days ago and thought it ran pretty well. I put the FMF Powercore 4 on it too. I wanted to see how some of you think the bike sounds and looks and any tips anyone can share to make the bike be more trail friendly.I stopped the video when i stalled it as it also seems to be a pain to start kick over when hot, but bump starts really easy....THANKS

Edited by 05cr125r

Well, if its and 02 and has not already been upgraded, you need to look at the 03 cam upgrade.

QU.. do you have to use the compression release to kick it over?  If so, it still has the stock cam.

The 02 has a tall frame, that's why it feels tall.

If it needs tires, get the best you can for the front, that's the one all your balance is on and if it washes out, you will go down.  Ask around what the local guys are using for your type of riding.  The rear will wear twice as fast, so have a choice picked out for it as well.

Make sure your air filter is new, clean and properly sealed. 

Make sure you change your oil after 5 hrs run time... get an hour meter if it doesn't already have one... you'll use it for maintenance.

Check and record your valve clearance and  shim sizes.... learn how to do it yourself and get the tools.

While your getting tools, get a flywheel puller specifically for the YZ250F... you will use that too.

Remove the flywheel and check the small sprocket on the crankshaft to see if its worn out, sharp pointed teeth... they should look like the teeth on the cam sprockets.... That means replace the cam chain every 50 hrs like the book says.

Lube all cables, grease all threads.

Pull the axles and grease the bearings, check them and make sure they are tight.

Lube the pivots for clutch and front brake; and lube the throttle tube.

Check the brake pads and make sure there is plenty there.

Check the sprockets and chain set for too much wear.

All that will give you enough to do for a weekend or two...

Have fun.

Are you using the correct procedure with the manual decompressor and hot start knob?

cool....thanks for the tips for sure. yes it has the comp lever, i did pull the hot start and maybe i am not right at TDC and getting a good enough kick through...more practice i guess. I enjoy doing the maintenance on it and keeping it clean. The oil and air filter were changed out right after i got it and picked up a spare air filter for easier switch outs.

:thumbsup:

cool....thanks for the tips for sure. yes it has the comp lever, i did pull the hot start and maybe i am not right at TDC and getting a good enough kick through...more practice i guess. I enjoy doing the maintenance on it and keeping it clean. The oil and air filter were changed out right after i got it and picked up a spare air filter for easier switch outs.

Remember, don't give any throttle on hot starting.

Great, you enjoy do the work yourself.  That will provide a lot of insite for when things wear out and need replaced.

Only other recommendation is use the search feature here, and read the FAQs

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/51313-forum-faq-read-before-you-post/

a lotta stuff in here.