USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

2003 CR125 Lighting coil and/or battery powered headlight advice

Hey all, I decided to pull an old light off a snowblower I found at school today in the shop and try and mount it on the number plate of my 125. Anyways I got it to work alright but still ghetto. I have two options: run it with what i have right now or get a lighting stator. trouble is, its seems really hard to find a lighting coil for this year and model.what i have right now is in the pics. But to basically explain it, i attached the light with the hardware that i ripped off the blower, then ran it to a 6 volt lantern battery to test it and it worked. Then i tried 12v and it was pretty good and i assume that is what the light is intended to run at. Trouble again is that those batteries are big and i dont think i can mount it anywhere convenient on the bike except the air box. But i really dont wanna do that because i have found this to be an air starved motor. And its heavy. Anyways. I have done it with a nine volt and it works. Very light obviosly. And it is perfect to mount inside my bar pad foam. But since it doesnt last that long i was planning to just carry like 4 9vs when i went on a huge ride. Then i tried 2 nine volts in series to make it 18v. I was afraid ot was gonna blow but slowy i tested it and seems brighter and not humming etc. And thats all i have so far. So either that or a lighting stator are my options. I just want to know if the 18 volts will hurt it and if the 9vs are a good idea. Sorry for the wall of text just trying to be specific. Thanks.

1402102848076.jpg

1402102864860.jpg

1402102875536.jpg

I can sell you a pair of mtn bike batteries that weigh almost nothing. They will drive it. I can also sell you a kickass led that will be much brighter much longer. Let me know

Is that a night light? I bet it BARELY lights up anything in front of you.

I can sell you a pair of mtn bike batteries that weigh almost nothing. They will drive it. I can also sell you a kickass led that will be much brighter much longer. Let me know

how big are the batteries and how many volts and MaH are they? How much for the LED?

See my thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1036074-home-after-dark-2005-cr125-enduro-lighting-system/

This is the stator that you need.

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_L93.html

But you can't get one anymore. Better is a rewind from RickyStator for a low power LED system.

Edited by magpie5

See my thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1036074-home-after-dark-2005-cr125-enduro-lighting-system/

This is the stator that you need.

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_L93.html

But you can't get one anymore. Better is a rewind from RickyStator for a low power LED system.

I have seen that stator before in my searching. And thanks for that thread. Ive seen you on the forums with your 6-speed tranny. And im usually not out after dark so I dont even need the tail light or anything, i just want the headlight for occasional home after dark rides. I think im going to try the tusk 12 volt enduro replacement battery and even tho i dont have that specific kit i think im gonna rewire it to work with a convential light and switch. I might try this light i have and see but im probably going to resort to a custom led setup of my own design lol. And that battery is rechargable so thats a plus.

I've got battery packs of 4 cells each or 6 cells each. The packs are 7.4v each. I run a 20 watt light bar off 2 packs for about 2-3 hours. Its brighter than brights on a car

I've got battery packs of 4 cells each or 6 cells each. The packs are 7.4v each. I run a 20 watt light bar off 2 packs for about 2-3 hours. Its brighter than brights on a car

For a total of around 15 volts? That sounds adequet. And 2-3 hours is good (Im guessing this light isnt even 20 watts so thats a plus.) Do you have a pic of that LED you have for sale?

Grab a 3cell 5000Mah Lipo battery for Rc helicopters. Works great and is small enough to be mounted somewhere on the bike.

Grab a 3cell 5000Mah Lipo battery for Rc helicopters. Works great and is small enough to be mounted somewhere on the bike.

sorry for the long time to reply. But i really like this idea. Is there a specific brand or type that you would recommend? Also how do you charge them?