Sign in to follow this  

600 mile service

Wondering what everyone did for their first service on the crf250l. Supposed to have the valves checked and oil changed. Also, if anyone has done this; how much did it cost??

Wondering what everyone did for their first service on the crf250l. Supposed to have the valves checked and oil changed. Also, if anyone has done this; how much did it cost??

It would be odd if your valves were out of spec so soon ..... 

I changed my oil at 400 miles and I did have my valves checked at 1,000 miles but, that was only because it was tore down getting a 305 big bore kit installed. Otherwise I would not have worried about it at all. 

just my thoughts and not to be mistaken as facts ....  :goofy:

• Like 2

Change the oil and ride on. That's all I did.

EDIT: since your asking about cost, do you meant cost of valves checked at dealer? If you mean oil change, and you meant at a dealer, just do it yourself. SUPER easy on these bikes.

Edited by Old Goat Ninja

That's what I wanted to hear! Haha Any oil recommendations?

I ordered my filter online since no local dealer, and got my oil at O'reillys, and surprising, only correct oil they had was the good stuff, some Royal Purple. Edited by Old Goat Ninja
  • Like 1

I used mobil one syn 10-30 T-4 from walmart--got the filters here at the thumper Talk store-- :thumbsup::ride::thumbsup:

• Like 1

at 9000 miles i had my valves done...  they said the intake side was a little off. but not bad. they brought them back into spec and all is good...  not that i noticed or heard anything funny...  i just think the 16,000 miles is a little long... so i will do it every 8000-10,000 miles... i have done 6 oil changes with mobil 1 4t synthetic... i go by color more then time...  2600 miles was the longes i went without an oil change... but also changed the oil filter 6 times, gasket twice...  air filter twice...  and just changed my spark plug but it really didn't need it... but i will keep her as a spare just in case...  

she is a low cost, low maintenance bike...  can't complain about her one bit...

• Like 3

at 9000 miles i had my valves done... they said the intake side was a little off. but not bad. they brought them back into spec and all is good... not that i noticed or heard anything funny... i just think the 16,000 miles is a little long... so i will do it every 8000-10,000 miles... i have done 6 oil changes with mobil 1 4t synthetic... i go by color more then time... 2600 miles was the longes i went without an oil change... but also changed the oil filter 6 times, gasket twice... air filter twice... and just changed my spark plug but it really didn't need it... but i will keep her as a spare just in case...

she is a low cost, low maintenance bike... can't complain about her one bit...

You remember what kind of plug? Just curious. On their (Honda) sport bikes they use those iridium thingies, and was wondering if these were too. If so, they're really expensive but are rated at something like 64,000 miles between changes. I don't remember the actual number, but it's a REALLY long time haha.

• Like 3

You remember what kind of plug? Just curious. On their (Honda) sport bikes they use those iridium thingies, and was wondering if these were too. If so, they're really expensive but are rated at something like 64,000 miles between changes. I don't remember the actual number, but it's a REALLY long time haha.

It does take the iridium plug for about $20.00 ... I replaced my when I did the 305 kit just because I wanted new everything ... oil, filters etc. So I have a brand new looking spare plug as well and it does "look" new. I was surprised by how clean it looked.  It must be burning all that extra fuel the EJK tosses in there ...  :ride:

• Like 2

It does take the iridium plug for about $20.00 ... I replaced my when I did the 305 kit just because I wanted new everything ... oil, filters etc. So I have a brand new looking spare plug as well and it does "look" new. I was surprised by how clean it looked. It must be burning all that extra fuel the EJK tosses in there ... :ride:

Cool. Yeah, those plugs last a really really long time.

• Like 1

Cool. Yeah, those plugs last a really really long time.

yeah, i didn't know they would last so long... coming from 2 smokes and every car i have ever had, plugs were common to change...  i only replaced my plug cause for $18 at every 10,000 miles, i don't mind.... lol

• Like 1