Sign in to follow this  

xt225 - a few questions

Just picked it up.  Seems to start and run ok.

Question:  Top speed about 80 kph - 50 mph.  Throttle position doesn't seem to make in difference.  Little faster downhill, a lot slower uphill.  Motor is smooth, no misses, but rolling the throttle wide open makes not difference to keeping it at 1/4.  Seems to accelerate ok in the lower gears.

Went to check the timing and got a face full of oil when I pulled the timing plug out with the engine running.  Is it supposed to be an oil bath in there?  I see a slight weeping of the left side cover gasket and was just going to change it.  How do you check timing without oil coming out (yeah, leaning it on the side stand probably didn't help.)

Yep, and I've got the manual.  Cleaned the carb - main is a 122.5, pilot a 42.5.  Nothing plugged everything seemed fine.  I was suspecting the diaphragm/slide not responding as it should but if it doesn't have any holes what else would you check?

what year is the bike and what gearing is on it?  I had a 1992  that was a 5 speed and I could get it to 120kph with my 250lb butt on it with stock gearing. last ones where a 6 speed.

have you checked the air filter yet?  have seen one of those get nasty and do what you are saying.

as it runs smooth,  I would just make shure the marks are lined up and leave it alone.

have you drained out the gas and tried it with new 87 octane gas?  mine always ran better on 87 than 91 or higher.

Airbox is clean, filter is good.  Running non-ethanol 94 octane, a few tanks now.

As for the face full of oil: that's normal. The entire stator/rotor is in the engine oil. Normal for most modern four strokes. The timing shouldn't move unless someone moved it. I believe the timing pickup and adjustment is user the left side cam cover, and is usually locked in place.

You didn't mention odometer, or checking valve clearance. I'd say 3000 to 5000 miles max between calve checks. If the valves are closed up, which is usually what happens, you could lose a lot of performance.

How about chain condition or over tension? Those are about 17 HP engines, and a binding or overtightened chain could drain a lot of that HP away. My associate's XT225 had a sad chain with disintegrating o'rings, and after new chain and sprockets, it ran a lot better.