Sign in to follow this  

Screen door goggles?!

Anybody ever seen or heard of running an old screen door or window in place of your goggle lens? I heard this is good for rain races where water sticks on the goggles like a car with no windshield wipers. Made a pair for this weekend n may try em out at a gncc Race depending on the conditions. Let me know what you think and any helpful comments you may have. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402109056.295135.jpg

Anybody ever seen or heard of running an old screen door or window in place of your goggle lens? I heard this is good for rain races where water sticks on the goggles like a car with no windshield wipers. Made a pair for this weekend n may try em out at a gncc Race depending on the conditions. Let me know what you think and any helpful comments you may have. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402109056.295135.jpg

Uh...tear offs might be a much less redneck choice

• Like 6

As soon as water and or mud get behind the tear offs aren't they useless? And what happens when u run out? Just go without goggles??

U don't have to be an &%$#@!, I just know everytime I try n ride in the rain I can't see squat and when I try n wipe it off it makes it worse, heard about this n thought I would kill some time n try it with an old pair of goggles. Just seeing if anybody had any suggestions or thoughts to help make it better

Yes it works it's better then no googles or tear offs in a race when it's raining hard. The only time the suck is if they get roosted really bad.

I saw somthing like those earlier this year at a H/S. I was hot and humid and rained throughout the previous night so the course was muddy. Most guys goggles were fogging up at the startline, I look over and saw this rider with a fallers/buckers mesh face shield around his helmet. It looked kinda goofy but no fogging issues  and good protection from mud and roost. The rider beside me saw him too and said they make mesh lenses for some googles, it would have been the ticket that day. 

I use full roll offs system for rain and mud.

Works better than tear offs.

• Like 1

Should keep the bugs out.......

• Like 1

Last season, last race of the year was a rainy mudder. The top 2 in the pro class were wearing goggles with screening instead of lenses.......everyone else was without goggles. Good idea imo. Try it, and see how it works for you

Some of our hare scrambles are pretty technical here on the west coast. In rainy conditions working hard you have mesh goggles or no goggles by the end of the race. The logging helmet mesh is much better to use, and you can get air soft goggles too, but I find they are a bit darker to look through, but are very strong

I have a pair that I built for wet races. They work awesome. Especially in wet conditions where it's rainy all day, the screen doesn't allow water and mud to stick...