Sign in to follow this  

05 base gasket on 02

Alright, I got the 05 basegasket for my 02 cr250.....does anyone else have a problem getting it over the dowel pins ?  I don't want to keep trying and bend the gasket but damn....this is the first 05 base that ive used and not having much luck...anyone have any suggestions ?

Alright, I got the 05 basegasket for my 02 cr250.....does anyone else have a problem getting it over the dowel pins ?  I don't want to keep trying and bend the gasket but damn....this is the first 05 base that ive used and not having much luck...anyone have any suggestions ?

My guess is either your dowels are in the wrong place or you are trying to put the base gasket on wrong.  On a side note, make sure you use Hondabond or yamabond on the case seams or you will get a massive air leak there.  Metal base gaskets don't seal up the seams like the paper ones.  I learned that lesson on my last rebuild, now every gasket kit I use with a metal base gasket will get hondabond on the case seam.

Mine fit perfect.

My guess is either your dowels are in the wrong place or you are trying to put the base gasket on wrong.  On a side note, make sure you use Hondabond or yamabond on the case seams or you will get a massive air leak there.  Metal base gaskets don't seal up the seams like the paper ones.  I learned that lesson on my last rebuild, now every gasket kit I use with a metal base gasket will get hondabond on the case seam.

I'm married to Hondabond on my current CR. When I went to do my first top-end ever, my buddy came to help and for some reason I thought he knew what he was doing. We loosened the studs and started pulling to no avail. I said "maybe there's a fourth stud behind this RC thing?" to which he replied "no, I don't think so, I think it's just stuck." So we pried a little before realizing I was right. Needless to say, I replaced the jug but the base of my case has a few knicks which always scare me. So I have hillbilly rigged setup.. bugs me so bad, yet no one has the slightest clue it's setup like that. I run the '05 gasket with Hondabond with no problems that I know of, tho.

I'm married to Hondabond on my current CR. When I went to do my first top-end ever, my buddy came to help and for some reason I thought he knew what he was doing. We loosened the studs and started pulling to no avail. I said "maybe there's a fourth stud behind this RC thing?" to which he replied "no, I don't think so, I think it's just stuck." So we pried a little before realizing I was right. Needless to say, I replaced the jug but the base of my case has a few knicks which always scare me. So I have hillbilly rigged setup.. bugs me so bad, yet no one has the slightest clue it's setup like that. I run the '05 gasket with Hondabond with no problems that I know of, tho.

I would use hondabond on any nick that the case has on it, it is good insurance.  I had never used it before but I had never tested for leaks before either.  Now that I have a leak tester, it is obvious that using hondabond is essential to sealing up your motor.

I would use hondabond on any nick that the case has on it, it is good insurance.  I had never used it before but I had never tested for leaks before either.  Now that I have a leak tester, it is obvious that using hondabond is essential to sealing up your motor.

Yeah I will always use it from now on. I don't have any leak symptoms, so I can usually ride carefree.