Sign in to follow this  

"extra" hose under tank?

so i just bought a used '05 250x, and i'm going through it before riding this sunday. when i pulled the tank to check the plug and valves i found a hose that's not connected to anything under the tank. it goes down behind the engine, into a T, and from the T it appears to go to the crankcase and then down to a drain. i think it's the breather, but it's just the raw hose end, no filter, check valve, etc on the top.

is this ok to ride like this? should it have a check valve or something on it? should it be plugged?

XwxBvhG.jpg

No worries; it's a vent for the tranny and there should be another one floating around there as well.

The clip there is supposed to keep it attached to the main breather tube off the valve cover.

It needs to be up there, certainly not plugged, and some do put a vent kit on it to prevent stuff from going back into the tranny, but you really don't need it.

The other vent floating around up there is for the carb.  It's a smaller diameter one than what your looking at.  It's usually tucked in under a clip off to the side, or it's sitting in the "U" formed by the upper shock mount.

Jim.