Sign in to follow this  

hard starting 2t

So I have an 96 rmx 250 that was completely submerged in a deep pool of muddy water last october. I started to work on it this spring and have gone and repacked all bearings, cleaned carb, drained gas and replaced with sorta fresh gas(mixed 32:1 for our chainsaw and leafblower)

Checked reeds (look brand new...completely flat), changed the spark plug from a br8es to a br9es (manual said br9ev but couldnt find em) and poured new fresh fluids in everywhere(although ill change the oil again cause it looks crumby still.) Anyway what are your guys' opinions on why my bike is hard to start. Ive heard the rmxs have powervalve problems but idk. The bike ran after I got it all together for a little bit but the idle-1/2 throttle is bogging. Again this thing ran fine after.my dad thought it could swim (another story for another day)

Thanks,

Joe

Sounds like a carb issue to me. Did the bike run at all after it was submerged? Don't feel bad though, I hit a 6" deep (I thought) water hole one time that turned out to be about 5' deep. It sucked muddy water into my engine and seized it. I had to take the carb apart and clean it and do a new top end.

Does the bike idle okay?

• Like 1

Ive taken the carb out three times now for adjustments and neever seen anything but the last bits of the old dirty fuel. A week or two ago the thing started fine and I havent done anything to it...was idling good and all but now its being a metal turd

Yup has strong spark...air filter is fresh and clean (double filter with filter skin for dunes riding which is new for me this year. Plug is wet with fuel when I checked spark and has decent compression

Yup has strong spark...air filter is fresh and clean (double filter with filter skin for dunes riding which is new for me this year. Plug is wet with fuel when I checked spark and has decent compression

Carby issue!

Check and make sure the jets are clean. Make sure the slide is clean.

So after following a few suggestions I opened up the carb and found gummed up ethonal crap sitting in there. I also changed to plug to a b9es from a br9es. Idk which it was but the bike fired right up second kick. Used fresh fuel aswell. Will definitely be heading to pick up fuel stabilizer stuff. Anyway thanks guys