Why does my bike always veer to the left?

Hey, I know you're not supposed to but when I let go of my handlebars as I coast toward a stop sign, my bike wants to go slightly left. I think that my son's bike does the same. We are both riding XR650Ls. I'm not really wanting to ride without hands on the bars all that much but it seems that something must not be correct with the bike. Thoughts?? -- other than that I'm a dumbass for letting go of the handlebars?

Hey, I know you're not supposed to but when I let go of my handlebars as I coast toward a stop sign, my bike wants to go slightly left. I think that my son's bike does the same. We are both riding XR650Ls. I'm not really wanting to ride without hands on the bars all that much but it seems that something must not be correct with the bike. Thoughts?? -- other than that I'm a dumbass for letting go of the handlebars?

Sometimes just the crest of the road...

Maybe the way the tires are worn?

Could your forks need to be aligned right in the triple clamp?

Try switching that pocket of change to the right pocket ?

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 2

All bikes will do that, it's because of the chain and sprockets and all that rotational mass on the left side.

None of mine do that. I had a K100 once that did it and I blamed it on a bent frame.

It's one of the things I check on a used bike test ride, hands off the bars and straight. Doesn't happen much, usually a misaligned rear wheel.