Sign in to follow this  

New Jersey PB300 ?

I did a google search for Pine Barrens 300 and the page that I went to was fairly clear that the event is intended for those really big and dumb street bikes with off-road tires. Hey, if that's your thing I say live and let live. The page more than hints that my street legal dual sport XR650L is not appropriate for the event while previous things that I have looked at in the past did not have this flavor. My son and I are new to off-road and a few months ago, I thought that this event would be beyond our capability. We're both feeling a lot more perky in the last month so I thought I'd look into it. I'm seeing that the event is really a promotional thing for the riding school and I guess I'm okay with that but is this event totally for BMWs and people who prefer to thoroughly review a wine list rather than go to BYOB establishments? There is no mention of entry fee so I'm guessing that if you have to ask, you shouldn't bother. What's up with this event and/or are there other things coming up for low born XR650 riders? I'd like to attend a multi-day event with lodging reservations or camping -- maybe cook some tube steaks on a stick and meet some nice people.

Sounds like event for the BIG adventure bikes like the BMW 1200 KTM 1190 etc. Not that you cant go have fun! Just expect the offroad parts will be just dirt roads no single track stuff. You might suck hind tit on highway parts but when you get offroad you will kick ASS!

These guys are pretty fun & up on some of the action going on, in your neck of the woods. The NJ stuff is too far for me, but there are some. And best to ask ahead of time how freindly is course for your type of bike & skill.

http://www.damnriders.org/index.php

The PB300 and 500 events are fun and would be well suited to a somewhat new rider.  The warning against small bikes is to distinguish this run from the club's enduro.  A fair proportion of the bikes are 600s and 650s of the various colors.  The huge ADV bikes may get the photo ops, but there are plenty of big red pigs too.  There are often one or two people on XR250s or CRF230s.

This is very much not a sommelier and caviar crowd.  There's a lot of lifting bikes out of mud puddles, opened tool kits, zip tie repairs, etc.  Dirty faces and greasy hands.  Many of the riders are veteran enduro guys who've slowed down a bit.

The clubs go to herculean effort to maintain these traditional runs despite a hostile regulatory environment.  Certainly no one makes much money from them; often the clubs actually have a net loss if the turnout is poor.  Clubs lay out $5K or $10k in permits, fees, and other associated costs for an enduro.  Jack's PB runs are smaller and less formal affairs, but still a year of planning and regulatory hassle goes into each one.

Edited by heart_of_darkness

Lots of DS rides claim to be "big bike friendly", and they are generally referring to bikes in the 350 lb range. However, the PB300 (or, PB500) is doable on a huge BMW GS. It's an easy off-road ride, if you've been off-road before. If it's your first time in the sand on a 500-600 lb bike, it's still gonna be a long day. I did it 2 years ago on a TE610, and I had one of the smaller/lighter bikes (and, it was fun for me). I was riding with a guy who had never been off road, and was on a GS, and I was getting worn-out helping him pick up that beast, haha. As mentioned, it's not a pretentious crowd... there will be noobs and vets. Actually, it's the perfect organized event for a noob on a big DS bike. 

I couldn't make it last year because I broke my wrist the previous weekend (Hammer Run crash), but I hope to do it this year. The bike doesn't really matter- I think they just want to avoid 2 strokes, and the barely legal type of bikes.