Sign in to follow this  

spark plug bung

Anybody make a better ht lead cover that stops the crud falling down the side of the spark plug making it difficult to get the plug out?

Spark plug location on late model XRs is one of the worst ever, but luckily we don't have to worry with the plug as much as a 2 stroke.

I got into the mud yesterday, so hosed off the engine today. Pulled the plug cap and most of the crud came with it. Had the tank off and washed out the rest with water.

Didn't need to pull the plug, but before I do I spray it with carb cleaner and blast it with compressed air.

I haven't seen any aftermarket plug caps (bung?), but haven't really looked.

cheers

Anybody make a better ht lead cover that stops the crud falling down the side of the spark plug making it difficult to get the plug out?

Do you have an air compressor? If you do just blast the hell out of it before you try to take it out.....works every time for me.

Long live the Thumper..... Brrrraaaappppp!

Yes I do blow it out but this time I think a small stone has lodged down the side making it impossible to get the plug socket on. Also happened to a friends. Maybe I'll stuff some foam around it. Is there any heat proof foam you can get. I think some of the mx racers stuff it between the skid pan and sump to stop mud getting in between and adding weight. I'll look it up

If anyone knows of a "heat proof"foam, please pass that info along....I got a lot of uses for that on my xr.....thank u!!!!

Sounds like a good idea.  My wife has this glove thingy that is rubber like that she uses as a hot pad type deal for hot pans on the stove.  It must be made from high temp silicon rubber.  Works real well for hot pots and pans.  If someone would make a cone shaped affair with a tight fit outside for the head cavity and a small hole in the center for the spark plug wire end thingy it would keep 99.9% of the crud out of there.

If someone would make a cone shaped affair with a tight fit outside for the head cavity and a small hole in the center for the spark plug wire end thingy it would keep 99.9% of the crud out of there.

It would also contain heat.  These motors are not water-cooled.

Modern spark plug in a dirt bike should last for years if carb is jetted correctly. Autos now go 100,000 on a set of plugs.

Again, water-cooled.

On a brand new air-cooled Honda 750 that revved to 10,000 RPM, I had a rough idle at 1,500 miles.  I changed the four spark plugs and the idle smoothed out.  

It would also contain heat.  These motors are not water-cooled.

Again, water-cooled.

On a brand new air-cooled Honda 750 that revved to 10,000 RPM, I had a rough idle at 1,500 miles.  I changed the four spark plugs and the idle smoothed out.  

No way a good spark plug is used up at 1500 miles air cooled or not. You either had a bad plug or wire. With modern fuels and a motor in good shape your spark plugs should go a very long time.

...and if that cone thingy fit down it the hole far enough it wouldn't be containing that much heat.  Heck there isn't that much air circulating down that hole anyway as it is only open on one end.