Sign in to follow this  

2003 CRF450R

Hello everyone. Im going to start doing my own maintenance on my bike but keep finding mixed info on everything so im going to ask here. What engine oil? What trans oil? I prefer full synthetic oils but will go either way for whatever is best. How long between changes? Dose full synthetic last longer in a bike or not? What oil filter is best? What coolant should i run? What spark plug? It gets hot here in the summer and cold in the winter. Should i run different plugs for temps? What air pressure in the tires? Im sorry about all the stupid questions but i want to do it correctly the first time.

You're gonna get bitched at for not doing searches on this by somebody. I use shell rotella 15w40 diesel oil in the engine and trans. Change it every 3 to 5 hours. Get an hour meter and log your maintenance on one of the blank pages in the manual. Use a paper filter. I use tusk. I use car antifreeze and NGK plug. 12 to 16 in the tires depending on conditions. Change your fork oil every six months or so. Check your spokes every ride or at least when changing oil. I don't check my valves when its running perfect. I've been 25 hrs since last valve check. I'll probably check them soon just for piece of mind. Good luck

You're gonna get bitched at for not doing searches on this by somebody. I use shell rotella 15w40 diesel oil in the engine and trans. Change it every 3 to 5 hours. Get an hour meter and log your maintenance on one of the blank pages in the manual. Use a paper filter. I use tusk. I use car antifreeze and NGK plug. 12 to 16 in the tires depending on conditions. Change your fork oil every six months or so. Check your spokes every ride or at least when changing oil. I don't check my valves when its running perfect. I've been 25 hrs since last valve check. I'll probably check them soon just for piece of mind. Good luck

Ok thanks. Thats the info i needed. Ive done alot of searches and everyone runs something different. I dont have a manual but did get a small notebook today to log everything done to it and also keep track of what fluids and all i need for service and how often to do them. It is at Honda right now getting a full service and inspection to make sure its right when i start with it.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402207863.900429.jpgi have the same year bike and use the Honda oil in both the trans and oil side, run a reuseable oil filter and the stock recommended spark plug. Best thing ive done to mine is replace the stock air filter. Since then ive not had to reshim my bike. I also run stock sprockets (sunstar) and my bike runs excellent.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402207863.900429.jpgi have the same year bike and use the Honda oil in both the trans and oil side, run a reuseable oil filter and the stock recommended spark plug. Best thing ive done to mine is replace the stock air filter. Since then ive not had to reshim my bike. I also run stock sprockets (sunstar) and my bike runs excellent.

Nice bike. I hope to have mine looking that good eventually. It needs new plastics and the frame a good cleaning.

Its hard to find the time to polish that frame but when you do it looks good. I use bluemagic metal polish. Good stuff. Where you located? I have a bunch of new and used front and rear fenders if your interested.

I dont want it polished shiny. The bike looks like it was never cleaned and the metal is black and tarnished looking. I just want to get it looking decent again. I plan on giving the bike a good scub this weekend. Im in South Alabama about 35 mins from the Florida line.

I dont want it polished shiny. The bike looks like it was never cleaned and the metal is black and tarnished looking. I just want to get it looking decent again. I plan on giving the bike a good scub this weekend. Im in South Alabama about 35 mins from the Florida line.

to far man. Speaking of the Florida line im in Ventura Ca and going to see Florida Geogia Line in July. If you were local i could hook you up.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402627211.849797.jpgyou like country music?