Sign in to follow this  

2014 Baja 500

I have checked the score site all day. The live feed is a joke. I can't find a connection to weatherman. Brabec came across first, I only know this because I kept the live feed on the laptop while I was working around the house today. At that I just got lucky walking by and heard the announcer saying here comes the first bike, They couldn't even get the live feed on the bike until he already was stopped and had his helmet off. The uncomfortable silence surrounding the bikes is disturbing. It has been going on since Kurt passed. Obviously the rank and file pro riders know something the rest of us don't. Kamo rides mountain bikes in Cali somewhere. Colton is a privateer chasing his 1x plate. Kendall Norman dropped off the face of the earth. Quinn Cody works for KTM and the Caselli foundation and rides/ co pilots Trophy trucks.. Rameriz and KTM claim they are after NHHA. David Pearson raced today but has had problems getting a ride. The sole reason the pro riders have bailed on Baja is money? Or lack there of? I don't buy it. Something stinks that the rest of us will probably never know. The Baja forum on here is a skeleton of it's former self. What happened? Is it the grassy knowl? Is Jimmy Hoffa's body buried in Ojos? Area 51? I wish someone could interview Sal Fish about the changes that have occurred since he sold SCORE. Johnny Campbell Could provide some insight but I'm sure he is not talking. Being in Oregon I don't make it south as much as I would like, nor do I know the proper people to have an insight to the workings of Baja. I can't put my finger on it but something is not right. Something stinks. My Dad always said "If the head stinks the whole fish is bad"

Edited by portlandcsc
  • Like 1

Oh well, this thread will be great for pictures then!

After a long night of drinking cheap tequila in Loreto, Craig here is exclaiming that, he is back!

baja12_zpsd33206b2.jpg

• Like 2

I remember the live feed on the 1k last year and told the missus as we were off for dinner that something is wrong as the 2x hasn't moved for a while. The look on everyone's face at the finish told you so as well. Baja died that day. 

Maybe for Motos in Score it has really tapered off, and this forum is slow , but Baja is alive and well!

• Like 2

Well, as we waited for the bikes at rm230 we used the tracking on the Score site and it worked well.

As for why other teams aren't racing.... the JCR move was in talks before the Kurt incident, there's more to why KTM isn't racing than most know and it isn't just money or safety, Kendall WAS at the 500 having fun pre-race then in the Kawi chopper race day, Pearson didn't have "problems" getting a ride - 4x asked and Dave was in.

There are some insurance issues that are real and effecting some decisions to race or not.

IMO since Roger has taken over the 5 Baja race courses have all been way better than many previous years and many new issues regarding safety have been implemented.  But even hearing Roger say he wants to "make it more affordable" the entry costs keep climbing.  Last year there was a moto-group formed and some progress made but we think Roger just doesn't want to let go of the reins and trust others to do the right thing so now there is another new moto group he's going to.  At least for this Baja 500 we were able to get Roger to agree to bringing back the Competition Review Board (used to happen post-every race, hasn't happened in a handful of years) to settle race issues between racers, protests, and put a stop to the whining (ala Imperial Valley 250). Ron Wilson was able to talk to both 1x & 4x to see if they had any issues with the other team, which there were not, then pin down Roger and have him make the top 3 OverAll moto finish as "final" within a few hours of the bikes finishing.  There was only 1 very minor speeding penalty of 3 seconds on 4x.  Pretty sweet.

Roger is a very difficult guy to talk to, doesn't really listen, not trusting, and can be super demeaning.  Not really traits that are going to work well if he is serious about building up the moto classes.

He would be well served to pay (he basically wants all volunteers) a moto guy to handle moto issues and make moto-related decisions.  This would remove Roger from the criticism about how he handles things (but that moto rep would still get yelled at by Roger I'm sure).

Regarding this forum, I think some would say this forum died years ago when a few people decided it was their duty to oversee all the happenings here regardless if the info was bogus.  But what do i know....

• Like 3

Tim

Do you really think Roger gives a crap about Bikes??

He is a Rich Arrogant man that wants to keep the big money cars guys happy.

Bikes are a pain for him and the truck guys.

• Like 1

Do you really think Roger gives a crap about Bikes??

He is a Rich Arrogant man that wants to keep the big money cars guys happy.

Bikes are a pain for him and the truck guys.

I didn't say above that he cared at all.  17 months ago I and others believed he did care.  Talking to him he has some crazy (literally and figuratively) ideas about having BIG bike events.  Some, including myself, were giving him a chance because his talk was pretty bold.  But he's on another planet with some of his ideas (ok, all the time).  I think the "what the F?" came when we all heard how he wants to make it more affordable then the entry cost was publicized for 500 '13, and since then it's been like our input doesn't matter, so yeah, I agree he doesn't give a crap.

I'm not even certain he wants to keep the big money cars guys happy.  He is arrogant though, got that right!  Maybe he's just stroking his ego and wants to look good to the Euros.

If I'm not mistaken for the short time the new SCORE has been operating they're on their 3rd "race director".  Yikes. 

So all you Dust To Glory'ites and Bucket Listers who've always wanted to race Baja,  do the '14 Baja 1000 or you might not have another chance.

Something funny I heard this past week about the Baja 500 bike race was it's the battle of the B teams.

Edited by BajaBoundMoto
  • Like 3

Man, I really want to solo the 1000 this year

Contact BBM for support/race details now.

I only took one phone photo this year. Felt like just watching

Thats Blackie the dog, a local troublemaker and apparently not a 4x fan

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402285243.146787.jpg

Edited by soylent_green

Well, as we waited for the bikes at rm230 we used the tracking on the Score site and it worked well.

As for why other teams aren't racing.... the JCR move was in talks before the Kurt incident, there's more to why KTM isn't racing than most know and it isn't just money or safety, Kendall WAS at the 500 having fun pre-race then in the Kawi chopper race day, Pearson didn't have "problems" getting a ride - 4x asked and Dave was in.

There are some insurance issues that are real and effecting some decisions to race or not.

IMO since Roger has taken over the 5 Baja race courses have all been way better than many previous years and many new issues regarding safety have been implemented.  But even hearing Roger say he wants to "make it more affordable" the entry costs keep climbing.  Last year there was a moto-group formed and some progress made but we think Roger just doesn't want to let go of the reins and trust others to do the right thing so now there is another new moto group he's going to.  At least for this Baja 500 we were able to get Roger to agree to bringing back the Competition Review Board (used to happen post-every race, hasn't happened in a handful of years) to settle race issues between racers, protests, and put a stop to the whining (ala Imperial Valley 250). Ron Wilson was able to talk to both 1x & 4x to see if they had any issues with the other team, which there were not, then pin down Roger and have him make the top 3 OverAll moto finish as "final" within a few hours of the bikes finishing.  There was only 1 very minor speeding penalty of 3 seconds on 4x.  Pretty sweet.

Roger is a very difficult guy to talk to, doesn't really listen, not trusting, and can be super demeaning.  Not really traits that are going to work well if he is serious about building up the moto classes.

He would be well served to pay (he basically wants all volunteers) a moto guy to handle moto issues and make moto-related decisions.  This would remove Roger from the criticism about how he handles things (but that moto rep would still get yelled at by Roger I'm sure).

Regarding this forum, I think some would say this forum died years ago when a few people decided it was their duty to oversee all the happenings here regardless if the info was bogus.  But what do i know....

Thanks. Some of us are just starving for information. ANY information. I don't know where to look. I tried to be a bit inflammatory just to get a response. How many of the 250+ views on this thread were looking for info on the pro riders? I can't find a peep about KN but people in Baja obviously know he was there. I guess the rest of us that don't have the means or luxury of being there hope that those that are could pass on a smidgeon of info. As for Pearson that was a general statement, not Baja exclusive. I can't find him racing any series. Didn't he ride a borrowed KTM a while ago? 

Edited by portlandcsc

Contact BBM for support/race details now.

I raced the 1000 solo in 08 on a clapped out XR400, mostly cause I had very little money. Don't think I can ride on the BBM team because of what it may cost, but if I had the money to do that, it would be better than a factory ride!

• Like 1

Man, I really want to solo the 1000 this year

what kind of training do you need for that?? or are you just a superhuman??

id love to solo a 500 on a 250 4 stroke, i dont know why